Event ideas

A forum for general discussion that is related to the unofficial community season of Nations at War.

Moderator: gigyas6

Event ideas

Postby JethroRayne » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:16 pm

Alright, we've had some renewed interest in the game, and people are logging on. I think we should be thinking of an event or more to have. Right now, it might be healthier to have something that would not require everyone to be on at the same time. Yet it should be something that gets people interacting with the server and each other.

Nothing has to start tomorrow, and it would probably be after the New Year before we started something to allow people time.

So, lets hear some ideas!
He who walks in the Dark is not always of the Dark.
JethroRayne
Workman of Garrodum

In Game: JethroRayne
Time Cloaked: Choice Pending

Re: Event ideas

Postby gigyas6 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:34 pm

There is currently an event lined up to hit shortly after New Years. Similarly, with the recent contest, Tito will have access to tools to put together an event. In Q1 2016, the Ocean Exploration expansion will be hopefully released which will add a lot of events and content. All in all, each of these are things that will probably be able to be done in a small or large group.

I'd love to see everyone put together something using survival resources, but the whole name of the game so far has been events and event planning.

I'd suggest setting up an event that causes strife. Right now, the population is healthy enough to sustain skirmishes and PVP to at least some degree. There's no real reason, however, to go out and attack people right now.
ggnaw.mcnode.net N@W Community server
gigyas6
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: gigyas6

Postby _myst_ » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:05 am

I've had a couple ideas bumping around:

Sieges:
We use worldedit to copy a settlement and it's surrounding area, put it into an instanced world, set up capture points using the "War" plugin (I think this one is still updated), and we split all participants into two teams, attackers and defenders, and add a bunch of skeletons and zombies and make tnt, water, and lava available and wage war for an agreed-upon time segment and use commandblock scoreboards to declare winners and losers.

Build contests::
Like season 2, we assign towns a type of structure to build (watchtowers, taverns, farms, etc) and set a time limit of several days. At the end, pre-determined impartial judges rate each settlement's build on its merits and declare a winner.

Mandatory period of hardcore roleplay:
Everyone gives up their items, and meets in the central spawn. Decide a scenario and play it out over a period of several hours. (Basically an in-game LARP)

N@W Olympics:
After a period of several days of resource gathering (and prize-giving to which ever town donates the most), everyone strives together to build a stadium large enough to hold various events (parkour, archery, gladitorial combat, etc.) and each town provides representatives to compete.
Season 2: Wanderer of Necropolis
Season 2.1: Frostmore Resident
Nations test: Stargazer of Astracarn
Dewcraft: Campaign challenged
House Mithorian: Tree-Hugger
Massivecraft: Builder of Bunkers
Unofficial Season: Thain of Sylven
Now where is my Season 3?!?!?
_myst_
The bot formerly known as jlpaugh121

Timezone: Pacific Standard
In Game: jlpaugh121

Postby B_C » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:43 am

My idea is a treasure hunt... to the death.

All participants are given a clue that alone would not lead to anything but when pieced with other clues could allow them to discern where the location of the grand prize is. Such as everyone getting a book with one digit of the XYZ coordinates that they must keep on them at all times.

It should be done in a hunger games style instance or other suitable arena that puts everyone on even footing and puts them at odds with the environment.

The prize would be held in a maze or other suitable death trap that makes it difficult to get to. As well as being something that we don't have access to such as potions or an over-enchanted weapon/tool to encourage a suitable amount of violence and use of tactics.

Also, build events are always fun because there is no set time in which everyone must log on to be able to participate. Which is good for me and my odd work hours.
B_C: Have you done it with your sister?
Buttkittens: No, but I have done it with my mom.
B_C
Stargazer of Astracarn

In Game: B_C

Postby Krazyguy75 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:58 am

----Build Contests----
World's Fair: Best invention (and that means any inventions); this promotes interesting points of interest within cities.

Golden Age: Best new structure (single builds only); promotes splendid buildings

Misc Construction Events: Build a specific type of building, such as banks, shrines, defences (anything from walls to watch towers to beacons are allowed), temples, castles, bars, housing (for various classes), foundries, stores, palaces, slums, or sewer systems, to name a few; helps make cities more than just housing an palaces.

Age of Discovery: Best new area of interest created. Areas of interest are like the various things you could find on N@W (the sword, giants, meteors, sphinx, etc).

----Fighting Contests----
Basic PvP

Colosseum Fight: PvE deathmatch

Labyrinth: New building (host designed) full of traps and monsters with unique gear and powers and chests containing rare blocks.

Raid: Facing a massively powerful boss that utilizes powerful attacks. Think Hypixel's boss fights.
Hello darkness my old friend...
Krazyguy75
Tribesman of the Mavi

Time Cloaked: Willing

Postby gigyas6 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:02 am

_myst_ wrote:I've had a couple ideas bumping around:

Sieges:
We use worldedit to copy a settlement and it's surrounding area, put it into an instanced world, set up capture points using the "War" plugin (I think this one is still updated), and we split all participants into two teams, attackers and defenders, and add a bunch of skeletons and zombies and make tnt, water, and lava available and wage war for an agreed-upon time segment and use commandblock scoreboards to declare winners and losers.

Towny already inherently supports this without the need for a separate instance. War is a global thing that applies to everyone expect non-participants. Sieges and such can happen then, although I do think the damage is permanent (which makes you want to construct better defenses). Permanent damage can provide a sense of change over time as well, and can be a physical example of a historical event - even when the area is repaired.

That being said, if you're referring to a mini-game type thing that has no war merit and contributes no war-score, that's a bit different.

Folks should keep in mind that, while the recent contest had event creation as a reward, that's not something that's limited to a prize of any sort. I'm more than happy to provide aid for fleshed out event ideas, particularly with instanced areas. The contest prize there was more or less to get things running - and I'm still going to be working much more directly with Tito to get his event idea underway when I'm able, and will be doing a lot more with command blocks there.

For a while, I was thinking that event creation should be something that's limited, so that it's special. I still think that's the case, but during these precious early steps of the server's new life, I think it's important to breath life into the server.
ggnaw.mcnode.net N@W Community server
gigyas6
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: gigyas6

Postby Krazyguy75 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:07 am

Personally, I think permanent damage is a terrible idea. Permanent damage means that, rather than "change over time", you have a nerdpole fest with lava and water everywhere and a bunch of buildings with 2 block holes in them and no one is willing to store stuff in chests so they bury them deep underground.

Sure, you could spend hours fixing the stupid stuff. Or you could get angry that all your hard work was destroyed and quit N@W. I just think it isn't worth the annoyance.
Hello darkness my old friend...
Krazyguy75
Tribesman of the Mavi

Time Cloaked: Willing

Postby _myst_ » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:15 am

Krazyguy75 wrote:Personally, I think permanent damage is a terrible idea. Permanent damage means that, rather than "change over time", you have a nerdpole fest with lava and water everywhere and a bunch of buildings with 2 block holes in them and no one is willing to store stuff in chests so they bury them deep underground.

Sure, you could spend hours fixing the stupid stuff. Or you could get angry that all your hard work was destroyed and quit N@W. I just think it isn't worth the annoyance.

Precisely why we need something a bit better than towny's "war" functions, like the WAR plugin, which N@W has used successfully in the past (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR3mE6p9MEs), and an instanced version of the settlement to be laid siege too. All of the messy fun with no cleanup or tears :dance:
Season 2: Wanderer of Necropolis
Season 2.1: Frostmore Resident
Nations test: Stargazer of Astracarn
Dewcraft: Campaign challenged
House Mithorian: Tree-Hugger
Massivecraft: Builder of Bunkers
Unofficial Season: Thain of Sylven
Now where is my Season 3?!?!?
_myst_
The bot formerly known as jlpaugh121

Timezone: Pacific Standard
In Game: jlpaugh121

Postby _Ass4ssin_ » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:14 am

I think in the case of sieges there should be no building allowed, This way you won't just get people digging a 2 high tunnel through all of the castles wall. It would however be having it downside of having no chance of getting in. There should be a middle ground, one where you don't just dig a hole, or make a noob tower over the wall, yet you still have the possibility to get inside the castle.

Three ideas shoot to my mind, first up having enemies allow the use of levers/doors/buttons/etc. (Assuming that everybody made a way inside their building without having to build.
Secondly make the enemy be able to destroy blocks, but make it like 10x as hard. Each block has to be dug multiple times before destroyed. Of course the damage will be later reverted.
Last up, this probably be the most difficult one, but have capture points, if the enemy stays long enough at the first point, they can go to the next one (because it opens a gate or creates a hole in the mountain).

This would be a bit more fun to do in the case of like events, the town could also be slightly altered to make it work (copy it to another world and than adjust it for the event). Instead of the simple dig a hole and enter, you actually have to hold a point till you can move on.

As for events, I think having a bounty system might also be interesting.
Each player start with no bounty, other players can add a bounty anonymously to a person.
Every kill you make will increase your bounty by a flat amount + a part of the killed player's bounty as well, so big bountyhunters/killers are high targets. The plugin will also randomly add amounts from time to time (to make things interesting if no one is placing bounties). Of course we will need a economy plugin to make a reason to hunt bounties. The player that last placed a bounty of a certain amount on a killed player could also get a certain reward, once the player gets killed by someone else (to encourage placing bounties and prevent them from farming the rewards.)

This will keep the players watching their back once their are a couple of players online.

I got plenty of more suggestions, maybe some mob bosses that spawn at random and the coords will be announced in the chat. They will drop good rewards and will make some PvE events for once someone is alone online etc.
_Ass4ssin_
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: _Ass4ssin_

Postby Ragandar » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:41 pm

I'd definitely be in favour of a PvP event. Get the PvP-nature of N@W kickstarted again.
F*ck Hell, I will go to Walhalla Sovngarde. \m/
Season 2:
Council member of The Teutonic Order.
Magma Hand of Hammerseat.

Season 2.5:

Tribesman of the Mavi.
Voting Council member.

Season 3:
Ragandar
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: Ragandar

Return to Hiatus at War (Unofficial Season)