Darkest Dungeon

Discuss other games you're currently playing.

Moderator: Lunysgwen

Darkest Dungeon

Postby ThatShadowGuy » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:14 am

Hey guys! Just wanted to show you the latest game I've gotten obsessed with:

Official Site: http://www.darkestdungeon.com/

Steam Link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/262060/

Darkest Dungeon is a gothic horror roguelike; essentially, XCOM meets H.P. Lovecraft. You gather a party consisting of all sorts of classes (which tend to be fairly familiar fantasy fare with fancier names) and send them into a dungeon to complete a quest, during which they tend to go insane and/or die. You have a Hamlet akin to a home base, which you can slowly upgrade from really shitty-looking to only kinda shitty-looking. From there you can recruit new heroes, relieve stress for some of your old ones, and upgrade their skills and equipment (whenever you get enough GODDAMNED DEEDS COME ON I HAVE LIKE 30 CRESTS JUST GIVE ME SOME DEEDS INSTEAD... that is).

Anyways, pros and cons:

+ Fantastic art style. Seriously. So good.

+ Fantastic narrator. Just... find some gameplay and listen to him, even the intro cutscene works. As silly as it sounds, this was one of the biggest draws for me.

+ Large selection of classes (10 so far, with more to be added), which makes forming a composition really interesting.

+ Stress mechanics are really interesting and add a lot to the game.

+/- Like most roguelikes, is brutal and unforgiving. Your dudes can wipe in the tutorial if you aren't careful, and it's still starting you off easy. Whether that's your style is up to you.

- Is in early access, so... you know. Incomplete and whatnot. Still, there's at least a good 20 hours of content before it gets repetitious.

- If you aren't okay with having everyone you ever cared about die horribly, this might not be the game for you. In fact, if RNG really screws you over, you'd have to be downright masochistic to enjoy it. Heh.

That being said, I cannot recommend this game enough. There are very few games that I have an urge to buy immediately, and this is one of them. No regrets, 10/10, looking forward to having my entire party infected with Syphilis once again.

(Psssst. I'm also interested in doing a screenshot LP here, just like the good old days. Let me know if you're interested.)
ThatShadowGuy
Stargazer of Astracarn

In Game: ThatShadowGuy
Time Cloaked: Choice Pending

Re: Darkest Dungeon

Postby _myst_ » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:19 pm

Saw it on a mighty Jingles video, giggled at the narrator. Not really my type of game but I can see the draw.

EDIT: Holy shit he's alive :3
Season 2: Wanderer of Necropolis
Season 2.1: Frostmore Resident
Nations test: Stargazer of Astracarn
Dewcraft: Campaign challenged
House Mithorian: Tree-Hugger
Massivecraft: Builder of Bunkers
Unofficial Season: Thain of Sylven
Now where is my Season 3?!?!?
_myst_
The bot formerly known as jlpaugh121

Timezone: Pacific Standard