Is Dwarf Fortress worth playing?

Discuss other games you're currently playing.

Moderator: Lunysgwen

Is Dwarf Fortress worth playing?

Postby Danelli » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:53 am

I am still continuing my own game gradually (I work about a day a week. I'll post updates when I get far-ish) However I have recently decided to start playing something again. Now I must ask, is Dwarf Fortress an entertaining game? I have heard a bit about it and it sounds interesting. Has anyone played DF and if so is it worth playing?
Dear Family,
Thanks for putting empty boxes back in the cabinet. There's nothing like having disappointment for breakfast.
Danelli
Tribesman of the Mavi

Timezone: EST
In Game: Danelli
Time Cloaked: Choice Pending

Re: Is Dwarf Fortress worth playing?

Postby gigyas6 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:06 am

It's worth playing for some people. If you're into engineering, specifically coding, you'll love it. Otherwise, it's going to be a drag. It offers a lot of roundabout problems to be solved, with a lot of automation management, optimization, and organization. I say you'll enjoy it most with an interest in coding because much of problem solving feels very similar to the feeling of writing and troubleshooting code.
ggnaw.mcnode.net N@W Community server
gigyas6
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: gigyas6

Re: Is Dwarf Fortress worth playing?

Postby Feldherren » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:02 pm

If you ever enjoyed playing simulations with only indirect control over most agents (Dungeon Keeper is an obvious one, but also games like Theme Park and Rollercoaster Tycoon) then it's worth checking out.

It's not as dry as Gigyas explains it. You don't have to optimise and organise everything; does make your fortress run more smoothly, but you don't have a scoreboard and you don't have competitor fortresses out there (that don't prefer just sending armies instead). Think of it as the pet dungeon mode from DK2 except with more features and properly sandbox.

Anyway, stuff like this exists for it if you're not sure you like the look of ASCII or basic tilesets, but it's not compatible with the latest version yet. This is also promising for anyone who's faffed around with tilesets and gotten annoyed at text being replaced by symbols.
<almiteycow> feld go stand next to this wall!
<almiteycow> feld lay down on this road!
<Feldherren> Someone two metres tall is 1.3 felds.
<almiteycow> oh lord
<almiteycow> my brain is breaking
Feldherren
Emp's Little Proof Reader

In Game: Feldherren

Return to Game Talk