Let's Make a City Builder.

Discuss other games you're currently playing.

Moderator: Lunysgwen

Let's Make a City Builder.

Postby Danelli » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:42 pm

In late May I randomly received massive inspiration to attempt to create my own computer game, a feat I am still slowly undergoing. I know the general idea of the game I am trying to make. It's a 2.5 dimensional game (2D, but with multiple layers). The player looks down at everything from top view. He will have some form of settlers that he shall use to interact with the landscape and build an admirable city.

The time period is medieval. I can't decide if I want to make it fantasy or not, so for now I am assuming I am going for a realistic setting. Religion, trade, and warfare will be big factors of the game in addition to running a society.

Spoiler:
So far I just started a little bit on one layer terrain generation:

I have nearly all the map textures done (different types of rock, wood, dirt, grass, sand, ect). I will be doing terrain generation very soon (I have a general idea what I'm doing with it).

The next step is why I am posting this thread. I am a little iffy on how I am going to do the settlers. I don't know if I should make them have a mind of their own and just have them do tasks like Dwarf Fortress or if I should make them controlled directly like the famous Age of Empire games. Therefore, I wanted to ask you guys, what would you want to see in a game like this?

Also, would you guys be willing to do Beta testing if I really get this game well developed?
Dear Family,
Thanks for putting empty boxes back in the cabinet. There's nothing like having disappointment for breakfast.
Danelli
Tribesman of the Mavi

Timezone: EST
In Game: Danelli
Time Cloaked: Choice Pending

Re: Let's Make a City Builder.

Postby orionic » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:58 pm

`give me this task and i will do it until you command me to do something else, or until i cant perform this task anymore`
like cut wood. oh you built a woodcutters hut? auto cut wood.
KB's Idea?: GENERATION 3:
Spoiler:
The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.
orionic
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: orionic_haps

Postby Danelli » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:04 pm

orionic wrote:`give me this task and i will do it until you command me to do something else, or until i cant perform this task anymore`
like cut wood. oh you built a woodcutters hut? auto cut wood.

So one wouldn't designate trees then? (Or at least wouldn't always have to say where to cut). I rather like that.
Dear Family,
Thanks for putting empty boxes back in the cabinet. There's nothing like having disappointment for breakfast.
Danelli
Tribesman of the Mavi

Postby xLGxRaven » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:12 am

I really love how everyone in this community is so creative.
Past Lives:
Season 2: Refugee of The Wall
Season 2.25: Workman of Valor
Season 2.5: Settler of Old Marah - Stargazer of Astracarn
xLGxRaven
Stargazer of Astracarn

In Game: xLGxRaven

Postby gigyas6 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:31 am

xLGxRaven wrote:I really love how everyone in this community is so creative.

That's kinda why most of us are here, when you think about it. A community full of artists.

And also Moo.

(I'm kidding. I understand the art in your code, Moo. Your soul shines through)
ggnaw.mcnode.net N@W Community server
gigyas6
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: gigyas6

Postby orionic » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:50 pm

gigyas6 wrote:
xLGxRaven wrote:I really love how everyone in this community is so creative.

That's kinda why most of us are here, when you think about it. A community full of artists.

And also Cow

Lol the thing i mentioned is probably one of the most used things in f.e. settlers or a.o.e. and other civilisation type of things.
KB's Idea?: GENERATION 3:
Spoiler:
The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.
orionic
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: orionic_haps

Postby Danelli » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:47 am

Hello again Nations at War community! I've missed you all :(

Anyways I felt like I should give you a quick update on how my city builder is coming along. I've been a bit slow due to academics, but I have some new things I felt like sharing. Tell me what you think.

WARNING: All of the images are rather large and can be viewed best by opening the image in a new tab.

Main Menu
So I officially created a main menu! It's basic, but works for my simple graphics game.

Again, it is not very special.
Spoiler:

World Generation
Of the buttons on the main menu, only "Generate World" and "Quit" currently do anything; however, generating a world works very well. The actual terrain generation is about 90% done. In addition to terrain, every world will randomly generate nations, races, languages, religions, and histories (battles, heroes, ect.) that are unique to each world. Currently the custom languages are the only part completed, but I've dove a bit into each of the other four.

Anyways, take a look at the world terrain generation by itself (the small white square in each world is the individual map location I have selected).
Spoiler:
World 1

World 2

World 3

Map Generation
Map generation is about 60% done (and I plan for it to be entirely done by Christmas). Currently, one can double click on a square location in a world and it will load the map. There are about 15 terrain types with additional generated features including beach sides, rivers, and rock types.

Since you play as a god in the game, you will always view these maps in birds-eye-view (2.5 dimensional game). Different depths are indicated by solid lines similar to a topographic map.

Here are a few terrain types.
Spoiler:
Regular Forest

Desert

Boreal Forest

Grass Land (with some flax growing at the top)

Red Forest

Goals for Winter
-Add multiple ways to view maps (all will be birds-eye-view, but the way depth is represented will vary greatly)
-Finish map generation.
-Finish races and religions.
-Add multiplayer support (I want the game to be designed for both single player and multiplayer. I do not want to develop it first for singleplayer and then try to find a way to squeeze in a poor multiplayer version)
-Retexture some trees.
-Add texture pack support.

Goals for Spring
-Finish nations and history generation
-Add wildlife
-Add people and basic city building mechanics
Dear Family,
Danelli
Tribesman of the Mavi

Postby xLGxRaven » Wed Dec 24, 2014 3:42 am

Are you looking for someone to make sprites for buildings?
Past Lives:
xLGxRaven
Stargazer of Astracarn

In Game: xLGxRaven

Postby Danelli » Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:38 am

I plan to sell this game eventually, so I do not want to use other people's work. Also buildings are not going to simply be sprites, but will instead be composed of walls placed by the player(s).

I will soon be looking for beta testers and perhaps even people willing to make their own texture packs (which of course will replace the vanilla textures).
Dear Family,
Danelli
Tribesman of the Mavi

Postby xLGxRaven » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:50 pm

Well I'd think I'm a more than capable beta tester. :P
Past Lives: