Ask the First Priests!

Official RP forum. Recounting of server events in character, play-by-post interim RP, poems, asides: this is where you'll find them. IC only.

Moderator: Lunysgwen

Re: Ask the First Priests!

Postby Cyster » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:02 pm

orionic wrote:can your gods tell if the genies from the time before the great apocalypse were related to your gods? they were, after all, elemental genies.

Fire Priestess:
I can't say I ever encountered one, which is a shame. I think I've heard tales, however. If there was a being of fire, it's quite likely it drew from the Goddess's power... but it may not have spoken with her voice. Fire is, after all, a very volatile power: difficult to master without chaining it down.

Air Priest:
If you hear a voice upon the wind, is it the voice in the air, or a voice of the Air? If all Air is under the domain of a god, when you use that air to form words from your lungs, are those words then from that god? Where does ownership truly reside?

Night Priestess:
From what I've come to understand about the world prior to our founding here, there was no "genie" representing the Night, so I can't speak on this subject.

wronsiski wrote:What are your thoughts on messing with people from other nations, to put it crudely "pranking" them?

Night Priestess:
Why would you? We are not children, causing others a moment of discomfort and then tittering behind our hands at the sight. There are more important things to focus on than a moment's puerile laughter at someone else's expense. There is no gain to be had. We value cleverness, of course, but there are better uses for it.

Fire Priestess:
If the mood strikes, perhaps, but I do agree with the sentiment that we're all adults here. It should never be the focus of your desires. Still, if the opportunity presents itself, there's nothing wrong with making your enemy look foolish. They were clearly asking for it. Some elaborate hoax, however? Never.

Air Priest:
A man tells another man that this pile of sand before him is magical sand, nourishing when eaten. The second man eats a handful of sand. Is the first man at fault for the second not using the skills he was granted in life to know that it was nothing but sand?

Fire Priestess:
Some of us apparently have no problem with it, on the other hand.

dragonshardz wrote:Air Priest, are you able to speak in a direct fashion, or is your habit of speaking in twisty riddles and phrases that could mean anything too deeply ingrained?

Air Priest:
When a holy man chooses to take a vow of silence, the curious asks if they can speak. Did they cut out their tongues when they became devoted to their cause, or would they make an exception? If a rock was about to crush their lover, would they yell a warning? What is more important to the holy man: dedication to their faith, or the concerns of the flesh? A holy man is still a man, subject to all the things a man wants and needs. If the holy man was about to die of starvation, would he break his vows to ask for food from one who did not understand his gestures? The answers to these questions define the man and his faith.

Night Priestess:
So you're aware, I happened to know him before we took up our respective mantles, and I assure you he didn't speak this way before. While he is answering the questions posed, he's doing it in an extremely circumspect manner.

Fire Priestess:
And wasting everyone's time as a result.

Andrea_2 wrote:Where were the Gods during the apocalypse, when the nations were all huddled together in the Hollows? Where were they before, during the golden age of the nations? Did they just sit back and watch? Did they decide that with humanity weakened, they would have a chance to form an army of worshippers?

Night Priestess:
Unkind insinuations in that question, but I suppose it's understandable. After all, those who fled the destruction certainly have many questions about the nature of the world's anger. We don't know everything, of course, but we'll answer what we can.

Fire Priestess:
We will, yes.

Night Priestess:
From what has been explained to me, the gods were locked away by mortals who feared the power they could exert over the world. It seems implausible, I realize, but through some method my Mistress understandably hasn't outlined, they managed to form a seal. The portals were a component of this process, and after they finished, they sealed them away, unable to affect anything. But they didn't remain hidden forever. They were uncovered and reactivated with the stone, one by one, and that cracked the seal that held the gods within. We don't know everyone who was sealed beyond that veil, but some of them... didn't have the best tempers.

Air Priest:
When a warrior-king is imprisoned away from his domain, what does he do when he returns to find his realm unrecognizable? Does he accept that the land he bled upon has become a stranger, or does he seek to mold it back into what is fam--

Fire Priestess:
What he's trying to say is that the powerful beings that had been sealed away sought to reclaim what was theirs. They couldn't do so directly, and so raised an army of sorts by wending their way into the minds of men who sought power beyond their means. Once the way to the moon and beyond was opened within the world proper, the veil was completely torn asunder, and they were free. And vengeful.

Air Priest:
When one tosses a spark upon dry tinder--

Night Priestess:
It is difficult for us to say what specifically destroyed the world above. What we know is one of the more benevolent spirits rounded you up and saved you, and we've come to believe he was acting as a shepherd of our gods. We could not live in a world ravaged by the powers you bore witness to. It was the gods of Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Day, and Night who set to work reshaping the world outside for us to live in. They tell us the world will soon be prepared for us, their faithful, to go out and thrive.

I don't believe they think us weak and ripe for the plucking at all. In fact, I think they see great strength and potential in us, and that is why they came to us in the first place.

Fire Priestess:
I don't believe the Goddess would have entered my dreams and shown me the amazing wonders I've seen if we were nothing but playthings to them. Why would they promise such power if they saw us only as weak things to be manipulated? They want us to further their own cause, not bleed for them.

Air Priest:
A suckerfish and a shark contemplate one another. The suckerfish sees only a vast, rough surface where food can be found, an endless source of nourishment and safety. No threat can harm them, no famine can touch them. They live a good life. The shark barely notices the suckerfish at all, but it knows its skin does not bother it. Does the shark's vastness and place in the great chain of life make it somehow sinister? Frightening to a small fish adrift in the ocean, perhaps, but that is not the suckerfish who has come to understand the benefits of its adaptation.
<Emp> my fist will meet your face
<Emp> your nipples will feed the starving
Cyster

Timezone: PST
In Game: Cyster
Time Cloaked: Choice Pending

Postby Danelli » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:20 pm

Dear Great Priests and Priestesses,
Does the Void have a purpose? Also is there something beyond it?
Dear Family,
Thanks for putting empty boxes back in the cabinet. There's nothing like having disappointment for breakfast.
Danelli
Tribesman of the Mavi

Timezone: EST
In Game: Danelli

Postby Sheez » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:03 pm

obsidianstar wrote:How do all of you feel about SCIENCE?

Day Priestess I'm familiar with alchemy, if that's what you're referring to. The practice of using the life Day provides to strengthen yourself is more than acceptable. You'll need that strength, and we're happy to provide it.

Water Priest
I think it's more than that. There's alchemy, certainly, but what about redstone contraptions and giant improbable machines?

Day Priestess Pausing, in consideration. That seems more frivolous. We have other deeds that need attending, secrets to seek out, threats to remove. Why would you spend your time building something that might, might, benefit your people but is unreliable? We know, or are able to find, all things in time. Dedication and faith, not dangerous experimentation, are the way to ascendant grace!

Earth Priest
Redstone is a tool provided by Earth. Where flesh is weak, diamond is strong. So too, while a man's cleverness is limited, expressing it in stone is a means to making it tangible. Make it real, instead of this airy, do-nothing theorycrafting. I don't support this alchemy business though. Using arcane means to strengthen your arm when you should be earning that strength through sweat and hard work is wrong. You're cheating yourself of the chance to test your skill against others, and I can't support that.

Water Priest
You're a stick in the mud. Literally. A better question is, what do you intend to accomplish by enacting this science? Does it have a purpose, or are you doing it just to say that you've done it? Of all of these folks, I'm going to support alchemy the most, because alchemy is but a physical representation of the changing nature of Water. But..I've seen our people toil away on machines that did something that wasn't ever needed, and that's a waste of time and energy that could be used to accomplish goals elsewhere! Do you really need a massive wall that flings flaming arrows for miles? Really? A clever foe will simply avoid the trap. Do you need to see how high you can launch a man in a minecart? What does that even accomplish? No. We'll support your science, but only so long as it has a purpose to it.

Danelli wrote:Dear Great Priests and Priestesses,
What is thou opinion on redstone mechanics?

Water Priest
I think I've answered that fairly well already. If you're going to build a machine, build it with the greater purpose in mind. Make sure it does something that needs doing, rather than being..self-fulfilling. Stagnant water does no one any good, it all has to go somewhere, and so should your designs.

Earth Priest
I am fine with these.

Day Priestess
That's it?

Earth Priest
What more do I have to say? Keep your feet on the ground and your head out of the clouds, be diligent and self-reliant, and your designs will have a place with us.

Day Priestess
I can see a use to very specific designs. There are comforts that a well-designed system can provide that would be laborious done by hand. That said, I still worry about the potential of wasted time spent on a theoretical machine when there is so much else that must be seen to.

Acertop wrote:To all of the bunch of you maties. Do you have a little respect of eachother? I am not saying a lot of respect but just enough to agree just a tad on something that another god said about a different god.

Water Priest
Well..

Earth Priest
Hmmph.

Water Priest
Alright. I'll come right out and say it. These folks all have qualities that I can see a use for, and that I can respect. But there's no way I could stand working with 'em. The Earth priest is too isolated, too focused on the strength of his arm rather than that of his mind. Fire is too impulsive, and her inability to contain herself will muck up all of my well-laid plans. I can appreciate the other priests and priestesses as people, but I wouldn't want to share the grand designs with them, because it'd be wasted effort on my part. They wouldn't get it, or they wouldn't accept it.

And, you know, I can respect that they have faith in the first place. They've been duped into putting it in the wrong places by pretender gods, but there's something to be said about taking a stand on something. Not a lot, maybe, but something.

Day Priestess
Don't glorify yourself so much! I know your true motives, and I know that you'd turn on us in a second if it suited your needs!

Water Priest
You can think you know all about me, lady, but you're just deluding yourself. Daylight doesn't penetrate the bottom of the ocean, ya know.

Day Priestess
Yet.

Earth Priest
And this is why we'd never be able to work together. Our goals and methods are just too different. Part of it comes from who we are as people, but..our gods have influence too. I know that my caves are safe, because Earth keeps them that way. So I gravitate there. It's just how it goes. I wouldn't want the Air priest sacrificing my sanctity so that he can flutter around wherever he pleased, nor Day or Night constantly fighting over who gets to bring either light or darkness to my caves. Those're between me and my God, and no one else dictates what happens there.

Day Priestess
Do you see how much these poor fools cling to their darkness and ignorance? You don't bring shadows into a place of light. You scour them from the earth! As people, these priests might have once been people I would have tolerated, but we are at cross purposes now and will not allow them to corrupt our sacred light!

Tito_The_Builder wrote:What is each god's stance on ice, water in particular?

Water Priest
Ice is lovely stuff! Harder than Water's other forms, slick when it needs to be, and it keeps your drinks cold! What else needs to be said? It's a testament to the flexibility of Water that it is what it needs to be in order to do what it must.

Earth Priest
Phh, a shoddy imitation of stone. Don't trust it, because it won't bear your weight. It's treacherous, just like the Water priest and just like his god.

Day Priestess
It's a worthless cover for the trickeries of Water. They think they're safe under it, using it to shore up their lies, but Ice melts under the heat of Day. Never forget that.

orionic wrote:can your gods tell if the genies from the time before the great apocalypse were related to your gods? they were, after all, elemental genies.

Earth Priest
I've heard stories of the genies of the Old World, but I've never encountered them myself. They sound like pebbles, dust from a larger stone. It's just speculation on my part, but I think the metaphor stands. It's possible that they were parts of gods prior.

Water Priest
Or dreams of the gods.

Earth Priest
I..guess that's possible too.

Day Priestess
It doesn't directly concern me, as my opposite has to succinctly pointed out.

wronsiski wrote:What are your thoughts on messing with people from other nations, to put it crudely "pranking" them?

Earth Priest
Meet your foes on the field of battle. Don't..hide behind words and trickeries. Those are the tools of the weak. Your strength will determine whether or not you succeed, not the lies you can tell.

Day Priestess
These sort of tricks are for those who do not stand in the light of Day. When you skulk in the shadows, you taint the nature of what we're trying to achieve here. There's no need to sully our purpose with such foolery.

Water Priest

Earth Priest
Well?

Water Priest
I think it's fine.

Day Priestess
WHAT?!

Water Priest
Get a sense of humor! You folks are so serious about everything! Relax for once in your lives, and let people have a little fun! I'm not saying they should get caught up in it, but there's no reason why you shouldn't feel free to play a few tricks! Especially if it works towards our goals.

Day Priestess
Now that's what I expected from you.

Andrea_2 wrote:some days ago, I met a person in the city who had some very important questions to ask, but was too shy to do so.
so, I guess I'll be his mouth, since I share his concerns.

To all the priests:

Where were the Gods during the apocalypse, when the nations were all huddled together in the Hollows? Where were they before, during the golden age of the nations? Did they just sit back and watch? Did they decide that with humanity weakened, they would have a chance to form an army of worshippers?

Day Priestess
I think the others have covered this particular topic fairly well, but I'd like to reiterate..we're not here to shape you into an army. And I know that Day doesn't see you as tools. We're smaller than they are, the Gods, but no less valuable or important. You are all capable of fighting back the dark and that is incredible. If Day had been able to intervene, I imagine it would have. You'll see proof of that when our own seals fall, I promise. The places that are waiting for us are glorious!

Water Priest
Those are fair questions, and they're ones I've asked of myself as well. You should understand that as a devotee of Water I know there is a greater cycle, there is a plan for things. What happened to our old world was not of that plan, and wouldn't have happened at all if we'd been strong enough to stop it, or had our God been free to do so. We're making something new here, something precious, and to do that we'll need to be flexible and adaptable.

Earth Priest
Everything we experience is a test, a proving ground. Not all of them are engineered by our God, but you shouldn't look on those experiences with disdain or anger. They've proven you strong, and have made you stronger, more aware of your own ability. You've survived, and that's quite a feat. If anything, it's something to be proud of rather than to regret.
Former Water Nation Leadership Council
Former Empire of the Riven Moon Leader
Master of Beasts

"<Emp>: Grrr microtrannies."
Sheez

Postby wronsiski » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:26 pm

What are your thoughts of sacrifices and ceremonies, what would your ideal sacrificial ceremony consist of?
wronsiski
Workman of Garrodum

Timezone: GMT
In Game: wronsiski

Postby Cyster » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:58 pm

Danelli wrote:Dear Great Priests and Priestesses,
Does the Void have a purpose? Also is there something beyond it?

Fire Priestess:
The Void? I assume you mean the stuff beyond the stars? It's a vast, endless waste as far as I know, though there are rumors that other worlds lie within it.

Night Priestess:
It's an interesting thought, isn't it? The ultimate darkness, in a way. It's another shadow to be braved and conquered -- but only when we're prepared enough to chance it.

Air Priest:
A man lives within a fog all his life. His world is only what he can see around his body. It is his world, and he knows it well. When a new thing comes into view, it is wondrous! It appeared from thin air and never existed before! And as it passes, it disappears again, out of sight and, soon, out of mind.

wronsiski wrote:What are your thoughts of sacrifices and ceremonies, what would your ideal sacrificial ceremony consist of?

Night Priestess:
We must all pay homage to our god. We are made so much better by their touch -- it is a small thing to give them what they desire. My mistress likes trophies of the hunt... undead trophies in particular. She appreciates all things that thrive in the darkness.

My ideal ceremony? To go on a hunt in her name and return with the spoils of my labor. I would offer the kills to her one by one with an account of the fight, and if it was a truly trying battle, offer the weapons that killed them also at the end. I would give my thanks for her guidance in the dark and renew my promise to be forever vigilant and unafraid no matter what I face.

Fire Priestess:
To feed the flame is an honor. There is so much that can be given to bring the flames higher and hotter, and each only increases the power of my goddess.

I would light a fire, nothing more than sparks in kindling, and slowly add each sacrifice to the hungry flame until it was a giant blaze. Then, basking in the radiant heat and light of what we had created together, I'd dance around it, flowing as the flames do. This would continue until the flames died down to embers again, my sacrifice consumed and my dance slowed to a stop. The cycle of fire.

Air Priest:
Can one capture air and place it on an altar? What, then, does one give to a god that embodies the element that cannot be given? What captures it? What rides upon it? What allows you to use it? See it? It is not the thing itself, but everything that celebrates it.

And so it would be a celebration as the air became more than air, twisting up to the heavens beyond our sight. With each thing that knows the air and caresses it, your hand urges it on its upward journey. Where, then, does it go when it passes beyond us? The answer is what brings us peace.
Cyster

Postby Jehoshua » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:33 am

To the various Priests and Priestesses of the cults of the Gods.

-

I have several questions to ask our resident clerics.

Firstly, I must ask, what is the nature of the corruption, its innermost essential being. Is it at the service of another deity unknown to us, or is it some other force made manifest in our world

Secondly, it is known that each thing has an end, an ultimate purpose to which it was meant to be. What is the purpose of the individual soul?

Thirdly, you say that the gods were separated from the world by mortals. Can you illumine our minds as to any other divinities that exist beyond the world

fourthly, what is the origin of your gods?

Finally, what is your deities opinion on human sacrifice? For as is known sacrifice is necessary for true worship, and the offering of a human soul to the god is perhaps the highest of sacrifices?
Jehoshua
Workman of Garrodum

In Game: Jehoshua

Postby orionic » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:49 pm

to the priestess of fire, what aspects does your goddess represent? you mentioned freedom, and we all know that fire gives light, and warmth, but is also very destructive when not handled carefully. are there more things the goddess of fire represents?
KB's Idea?: GENERATION 3:
Spoiler:
The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.
orionic
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: orionic_haps

Postby Koichimaru » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:16 pm

To each of you, how do you and your Gods feel about those who have left the flock of another for your own? Do you feel joy? Or, knowing that they have already turned away from their beliefs once, do you regard them with suspicion?
The glade sat untouched by war, its sweet redolance eclipsed only by the silence. The God's surely smiled upon this place once. Before long, the chaos wrought by the Nations would turn it to desolation, naught a fraction of its present glory surviving.
Koichimaru
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: Koichimaru

Postby caboose_be » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:03 pm

Priestess of the Night, a question I have for you.
You tell us that the Domina Nox values bravery above all else, but bravery is but a matter of ones personal opinion.
Some say you are brave when you do what is needed to be done, even do evil when it would result in a greater good.
Others say you are a coward if you would ever consider these thoughts.
Does She Who Rules the Night condemn all acts of evil and considers them the coward's way? Or does She value that people look beyond, to the future, and are brave enough to do what needs to be done, even if it would see him as a villain in the eyes of others?
caboose_be
Workman of Garrodum

In Game: caboose_be

Postby Cyster » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:21 pm

(We will get back to this, by the way, guys. Been busy for us lately.)
Cyster

PreviousNext

Return to Chronicles of Conflict