Ask the First Priests!

Official RP forum. Recounting of server events in character, play-by-post interim RP, poems, asides: this is where you'll find them. IC only.

Moderator: Lunysgwen

Re: Ask the First Priests!

Postby Cyster » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:24 am

(Hoo, that's a lot of responses to write. We'll get to it, but from this post on, just address things to one priest at a time until we get caught up.)
<Emp> my fist will meet your face
<Emp> your nipples will feed the starving
Cyster

Timezone: PST
In Game: Cyster
Time Cloaked: Choice Pending

Postby _myst_ » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:55 am

To the night priestess, what is your opinion on siege weapons of mass destruction?

(i.e. tnt cannons, Xerxes guns, etc.)
Season 2: Wanderer of Necropolis
Season 2.1: Frostmore Resident
Nations test: Stargazer of Astracarn
Dewcraft: Campaign challenged
House Mithorian: Tree-Hugger
Massivecraft: Builder of Bunkers
Unofficial Season: Thain of Sylven
Now where is my Season 3?!?!?
_myst_
The bot formerly known as jlpaugh121

Timezone: Pacific Standard
In Game: jlpaugh121

Postby Cyster » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:56 am

DreXav wrote:Priests of all deities,

How do you view trading and sharing, material and immaterial wealth alike, with heathens and the banished?

Night Priestess:
To put it frankly, people do not deserve what they do not earn. Why should the cowards reap the benefit of our strength? If they cannot rouse themselves to fight the creatures of the dark with us, then let them go without whatever they seek from us. As for what we want, we are certainly no hypocrites -- if we cannot take it ourselves, we don't deserve it.

For things beyond material wealth, well, we're well acquainted with keeping knowledge. There's no purpose in sharing and bolstering those who cannot help themselves. Let them rot.

Air Priest:
Trade is the act of giving one thing for another thing. If one gives something and takes something without the knowledge of the other, does it cease to be trade because of the ignorance? One may leave behind something the other does not want. If one takes riches and leaves behind a lesson, is that not a valuable trade? Both benefit in the end.

Fire Priestess:
Why waste time haggling with such people? They would spend their day arguing over worth while there is so much more of value to be done. No, if something is needed, it should be taken -- all the better to get on with the events of the time.

Ragandar wrote:"Listen all, and hear my call.
Tell me, what traits your Gods value.
Strength or cunning, or is perhaps patience considered a real virtue?
Answer me, you all..."

Night Priestess:
Bravery. We do not suffer cowards in our order. It is our way to face the dangers of the dark and become stronger for it. We admire strength, perseverance, and patience as well, for it serves us in our time of need.

Air Priest:
Value in others, or value in ourselves? Much and many can be valued in different circumstances. One can value ignorance of another if one has the answers. One can value sluggishness if one has the speed. One can value blindness if one is all-seeing. It is very simple.

Fire Priestess:
Decisiveness, naturally. Our people must make choices from moment to moment that can change a great deal, and waffling over decisions will end in destruction. No, a true devotee of the flame knows what she wants at all times and acts upon it.

Feldherren wrote:Priestesses, what's the difference between night and day? ...well, aside from you two being different people.
They're words some people threw around, but I've never seen what they talked about.

Night Priestess:
If only you could see what I've been shown. Imagine the darkness of an untouched cave, but without a ceiling. Up above are tiny pinpricks of light, with the gentle glow of an orb high above barely lighting the world just enough to see. It is where the monsters we know roam free, and where the true proving ground lies.

Fire Priestess:
It's where the crazy go, you mean. Anyone with sense would use some light to chase off the monsters and provide a bit of safety... or light them on fire while you were at it. They do no one any good. If we have the power, why should we suffer in darkness?

Not that day is any better. There's light, but it's too extreme, and far too long. Day is what causes everything to overgrow, needing to be cut back by wiser heads.

Truly, that's your answer. They're two extreme sides of the same coin, and no one with a good head on their shoulders would ever dream of dwelling in one permanently.

Night Priestess:
Oh, shut up. She wasn't asking you.

Fire Priestess:
She said "Priestesses."

Night Priestess:
Whatever, coward.
Cyster

Postby Cyster » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:31 am

dragonshardz wrote:Thank you, Preists and Priestesses. Another question, what would your God or Goddess think of a crusade to cleanse the world of said creatures?

Night Priestess:
I don't think that's possible, and we're in the best position to know. Oh, certainly we'll kill them. We'll kill them in the thousands. But the night draws these creatures out, and as long as there is death, there will be the monsters that follow. We fight them because no one else will, not in such numbers. We will never be rid of them, however. Much like you expect to deal with the heat should you live close to the lava, they are an integral part of the night.

Air Priest:
If a man empties his lungs and stops breathing, has he chased away the air from his body, or only what he controls? If he perceives that there is no air in his body, does the fact that reality differs matter? Not to the man, but certainly to the world.

Fire Priestess:
As I mentioned before, they serve little purpose in the grand balance of things, but to dedicate time to wiping out all of them? What will you miss in all those moments you're busy pursuing that mad and likely unattainable goal? Best to destroy them if they threaten you and take opportunities as they come. It's a far more fulfilling life.

Krazyguy75 wrote:What do the gods think of the other gods? Are some worse than others?

For example, the fire god might hate the water god more, and the earth gods and day gods less, as magma is underground, and harsh sunlight causes wildfires.

Is there any preference or not?

Night Priestess:
I would hope you'd realize how obvious it is that I dislike lady Day over there. But simply because she represents the opposite of my own master, do not think that the other gods are somehow free of contempt. They're cowards, every last one of them. Fire, Water... Air and Earth may understand secrets in their own way, and Earth has some notion of darkness as we all know, but Earth is far too defensive rather than taking to the fight, and Air is passive in comparison. None of them are worth the time.

Air Priest:
A priest brings the word of the god to the people. When the people ask of other gods, what then must the priest say? To give the other gods time in his sermon is to give them power. To give other gods power knowingly is to be a poor priest and poorer shepherd.

Fire Priestess:
Day... have you spoken to that woman? She is insane. No, Day is what happens when you try to take fire away from its nature -- too long, too bright, and too unbalanced. And Earth is boring, not to mention not nearly as strong as they claim to be. You mention yourself that our power can rob them of their vaunted immobility. No, I may not like Water in the slightest, but they're certainly winning no prizes. Night has the same problem as Day -- too unbalanced, just for different reasons. Even Air is too untrustworthy to waste any time on. No, the faithful of Fire find their allies among themselves.

Onundr wrote:What is it that your gods want with all of us?

Night Priestess:
To raise you up into the brave warriors I know you all can be. There's a fighter in each of you, and all it takes is the right calling to bring it to the fore. If you come into the fold, you will never feel more alive as you do in the dark. You will be stronger and faster than you ever thought possible as your senses become honed. And our Mistress, may she ever cloak us, gains a faithful following that owns her domain and spreads her word. Save yourself from the cowardice and sloth that these other gods would instill in you and realize your true potential in the Night.

Air Priest:
What does a child want with a marble? It is a simple thing, a marble, yet fascinating within. Viewing from a new angle can bring new revelations. Many marbles in many configurations can bring even more. And when the time comes, the child can shoot the marble at its enemies!

Fire Priestess:
It's become clear to me that we spend too long worrying about the far future. We stare at our approaching death, yet always put things off in the wake of more important things. It causes us to miss so much! My mistress wants you to open your eyes and embrace the wonder of the moment. Seize the day! There is so much wonder and power in the present that we miss for fear of the future and in pining for the past. This is our time, and my Mistress would have you break the shackles you've placed on yourselves and become free! It's a feeling beyond your imagining, embracing this, and we want you to feel that joy. You'll never want to give it up.

jlpaugh121 wrote:To the night priestess, what is your opinion on siege weapons of mass destruction?

Night Priestess:
Why in the world...? I haven't seen any in action, but they sound like the weak way out to me.
Cyster

Postby _myst_ » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:58 am

Night Priestess:
Why in the world...? I haven't seen any in action, but they sound like the weak way out to me

Oh, but the sheer terror worming its ways through our enemies at the sight of hundreds upon hundreds of arrows coursing through the night sky!

Spoiler:
(OOC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv3LBwG ... re=related

1:19 to 1:25. . . it looks like immense amount of fun. . .
Season 2: Wanderer of Necropolis
Season 2.1: Frostmore Resident
Nations test: Stargazer of Astracarn
Dewcraft: Campaign challenged
House Mithorian: Tree-Hugger
Massivecraft: Builder of Bunkers
Unofficial Season: Thain of Sylven
Now where is my Season 3?!?!?
_myst_
The bot formerly known as jlpaugh121

Timezone: Pacific Standard
In Game: jlpaugh121

Postby orionic » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:00 am

air priest and fire priestess, now that we know the gods see something valuable in us, what can we find in them?
what can your gods provide us with?
KB's Idea?: GENERATION 3:
Spoiler:
The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.
orionic
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: orionic_haps

Postby Cyster » Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:57 pm

orionic wrote:air priest and fire priestess, now that we know the gods see something valuable in us, what can we find in them?
what can your gods provide us with?

Air Priest:
What is air to a man? Invisible, unknowable, unpredictable, but irreplaceable. How does one unlock the mystery of something that is unknowable? How can one see something that is invisible? How can one predict something that is unpredictable? The answers lie closer than you know. What, then, can you see with eyes that know the invisible? What, then, can you predict with a mind that knows the unpredictable? What, then, can you understand when you comprehend the unknowable?

Fire Priestess:
I answered this in the previous question. We're free. We're given the understanding of the breadth of our power and what we can do to both grant life and destroy it. You don't know yet, as you are, just how bound to your culture's lengthy rituals and traditions you've become. To cast all that off and no longer be beholden to such things? It's amazing.

Spoiler:
((OOC: If you were looking for perk info, nope. :P))
Cyster

Postby Danelli » Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:47 pm

(I originally posted a very pointless question. Scroll past.)
Last edited by Danelli on Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dear Family,
Thanks for putting empty boxes back in the cabinet. There's nothing like having disappointment for breakfast.
Danelli
Tribesman of the Mavi

Timezone: EST
In Game: Danelli

Postby orionic » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:57 pm

I thank you both for your wisdom.

Spoiler:
ooc: i definitley wasnt, you actually answered in a way i wanted you to. big kudos to both of you for doing so much writing to feed our hungry minds:)
KB's Idea?: GENERATION 3:
Spoiler:
The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.
orionic
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: orionic_haps

Postby Sheez » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:16 am

DreXav wrote:How do you view trading and sharing, material and immaterial wealth alike, with heathens and the banished?

Water Priest
Trading? As long as you walk away with more than you gave. As long as you trade towards a purpose. If you must share, share to obtain a goal, but realize that everything that you give to others you're taking from your brethren. They're the ones who keep your schemes moving, who carve the way for your plans. Be sure that you keep them closest.

Earth Priest
You would try and use even charity to your own ends.

Water Priest
At least it's with reason! Go ahead, tell them your views.

Earth Priest
Fine. I will. You want to know about charity and trade? The thing we do best is endure. The reason we endure is because we are vigilant, and careful, and strong. Who needs charity? The people who can't endure. The weak, the lazy, the indolent and short-sighted. Would you have us take the stone from the base of our walls for the hearths of our foes? No. We'll survive because we're capable of doing it.

Day Priestess
You two would bicker over this. Ignore them, they both have points but none of it is the whole of the truth. Let me tell you how it is. Day spreads it's light everywhere. Sometimes that means entering the dark places and bearing the light of day to those huddling in fear. What other way to do that than to speak to their baser natures? We will bring them up into enlightenment, but let that first dawn show them that there is more to life than grubbing in the dark.

Ragandar wrote:Tell me, what traits your Gods value.
Strength or cunning, or is perhaps patience considered a real virtue?

Day Priestess
The greatest thing you can bring with you is the conviction in your heart. The night is always threatening. You'll need to go into the dark places of the world and bring light to them. You'll be threatened on all sides, and it will be your heart that sees you through!

Earth Priest
Phh. The strength of your heart doesn't mean a thing if the strength of your arms can't carry it through. There's always work to be done, walls to be built, holes to be patched. I say, give me a man who will stand the test of time, and I'll shape him into a diamond-hard paragon of his kind.

Water Priest
Your clever little head is the most valuable thing you've got. How can you read which way the river's flowing if you're not smart enough to interpret the signs? Water provides for those that can use their wits. Forget this nonsense about the strength of your arm or convictions. We want the strength of your mind.

Feldherren wrote:Priestesses, what's the difference between night and day? ...well, aside from you two being different people.
They're words some people threw around, but I've never seen what they talked about.

Day Priestess
The Night Priestess must have gotten stuck in her wardrobe when she told you about the differences between night and day. Goodness knows what sort of monsters lurk there. I mean, look at those robes.

NIght has to be a proving ground, because no one is ever safe. They are content to let the depredations of evil and malicious creatures threaten their lives. Day is..the feel of grass under your feet, the smell of fresh fruit, the warmth of the sun on your skin. It's about knowing that you are safe, because the light of Day keeps no secrets from you.

dragonshardz wrote:Thank you, Preists and Priestesses. Another question, what would your God or Goddess think of a crusade to cleanse the world of said creatures?

Earth Priest
Secure your own house before worrying about those of other people. If you're not safe inside your own walls, why would you bother to look for faults in someone else's?

Water Priest
Wait, what if your neighbor was..

Earth Priest
No, stuff it. That was a rhetorical question!

Water Priest
Big words for a dirt-grubber.

Day Priestess
Can we stay on topic? Maybe? For once?

Water Priest
Okay, fine. So, taking a pawn out of the game isn't usually a useful thing. You'd have to work pretty hard to sell the idea, because it means less tools to work with. That's no good.

Day Priestess
I'm going to disagree. The walking dead should be laid to rest, and the terrors of the night deserve to be put down. But the better way to go about cleansing them is to simply light all of the dark corners of the world. When there's nowhere to hide, they'll turn to cinders under Day's sight.

Krazyguy75 wrote:What do the gods think of the other gods? Are some worse than others?

For example, the fire god might hate the water god more, and the earth gods and day gods less, as magma is underground, and harsh sunlight causes wildfires.

Is there any preference or not?

Day Priestess
You don't know the truth behind these other gods. We're here to enlighten you, to bring that light to the darkness of ignorance. When they're not weak, they're lazy or inconstant. They claim to shape the world, when really the things they claim as their own wouldn't exist without Day's grace. Have you seen these Earth and Water bickering here? Fire's a pretender to our glory, and Air doesn't do anything except try and be mysterious all the time. You know why that doesn't work? Because we know all of the secrets under the sun.

Water Priest
Hooboy, is it getting a little stuffy in here? Feels like someone let out a whole lot of hot air? Look, I can see you're clever. You're questioning, and that's just a drop away from understanding. But look at these other folks. That Earth guy is so centered on his own concerns that he'll never see the bigger picture. Day got it right in that Air is a pretender to mysticism; I mean, who better knows the flow of magic than Water? And Day and Night are just..look, they're both nuts. That Day priestess is so uptight I think she may have invented the wedgie, and Night's spiel about surviving in the dark is wacko. You get away from danger, not put yourself in it's way.

Earth Priest
Water is..inconstant. They move when they should stay firm. I'll give them credit, they're a touch more dependable than that Air priest and his god, but that's not saying much. The Fire priestess is awfully pretentious for worshiping something that can be doused with a bad sneeze. She might be more reasonable if she could actually stick to anything for a length of time, but it never happens. I can appreciate parts of what Day and Night's priestesses say, but the zealotry and bragging on both of their ends just make me sick.

Onundr wrote:What is it that your gods want with all of us?

Water Priest
A drop of water isn't much by itself, but a thousand drops of water will turn into a torrent that changes the world. Even a small trickle of water can work into the cracks and crevices and make a difference. We want the world to change for the better, and it's pretty clear that out of the rest of these folks that we know how best to put that plan in action because we're flexible enough to give when we must and push back when it best suits us. While you'll find zeal for the job here, you'll never find the sort of rampant zealotry that many of these other folks exhibit.

Earth Priest
Each of you is a stone, a pebble. You sit untested and unworked. My God and I want to bring out the best in you, to make each of you shine and sparkle as a gem in the depths. I know that it rests in all of your hearts, it just requires a steady hand, a bit of patience, and a smidge of elbow grease to make you glow. You have so much potential that has yet to be brought out.

Day Priestess
Darkness is insidious. It rests in the unwatched corners, hides in the spaces in between. It takes a constant vigil and steadfast heart to seek it out in all of the places it hides. We know that there are those amongst you with that bravery and strength of conviction. For the sake of the world, we need you to hold back that dark tide and drive it further until it has no place left to hide. Only then will we ever be truly safe.
Former Water Nation Leadership Council
Former Empire of the Riven Moon Leader
Master of Beasts

"<Emp>: Grrr microtrannies."
Sheez

PreviousNext

Return to Chronicles of Conflict