N@W, Nation Lore, and RP: How to Swing It

Official RP forum. Recounting of server events in character, play-by-post interim RP, poems, asides: this is where you'll find them. IC only.

Moderator: Lunysgwen

N@W, Nation Lore, and RP: How to Swing It

Postby Cyster » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:17 pm

So there's been a bit of dissent and grumbling about nation lore and I'm separating it out into its own thread. Here I'd like people to get a handle on what's good for nation lore as well as what should be avoided. If you have any questions or concerns about a nation's lore, you should bring it up here if you'd rather discuss it in public.

Onto the tips!

HISTORY

* Don't be afraid to play with ideas. If you want to play around with origin stories, that's fine. We're not a hardcore RP server and there are portals to all sorts of other planes, so I have no qualms about alternate dimension stories and the like. But before you go crazy...

* Objective fact must remain grounded. What does this mean? It means you can claim yours was the nation that blew up the land that made the Shattered Skies, or ate away the rock in the Hollows, or founded Stormhaven or made the Sanctum. But the second you do that, your believability essentially goes out the window. You cannot OBJECTIVELY claim responsibility for any major facet of already-existing N@W. You want to make up tall tales, don't care, and that can be great fun. Just expect people to call you on it, and don't get huffy OOC when they do. (Getting huffy IC is expected.)

This also goes for technology and the like, to an extent. Remember -- this is a pretty medieval world, with some small allowance for magic and minor steampunk.

* Scale back the awesome quotient. When everyone's super, no one will be. It's a common thing for younger writers in particular to focus on how amazing everything is and how they completely beat the crap out of things, but it's more interesting and nuanced to have flaws. I'm not saying make your history terrible, but everyone makes mistakes, and surely someone in your nation's history did as well.

* Never assume. If you haven't seen a regular Minecraft feature (like the Nether, or pigmen) don't assume they exist. Work with what you know is in N@W, because we change things up. You'll never see pigmen this season, for example, because you've been fighting their reskins (orcs) since day one.

* Big magic? Big problem. The Magi are the main magic people around these parts -- so try to avoid having a hugely magical realm, at least as it functions today. You can't back it up systematically anyway and the Magi would probably come and kick your teeth in for playing with powers you don't understand.

CULTURE

* Have some. Nations are not just who they were. They are also who they are, and how they behave. Everyone focuses on the history, but so few play with the things that will make a practical difference in their gameplay. What holidays does your nation celebrate? Is a particular color important to them, and why? Do you have a ritual of some sort for greeting foreigners or preparing for war? Think about these things and more, for they will enrich your nation and also entice others to join when it looks like you're having fun with the concept.

* Inspiration is fine, but try some originality, too. We all crib from sources; that's to be expected. But even if you're pulling from your favorite culture, real or imagined, try to put a twist or spin on it that makes it unique.

GENERAL WRITING

* Accept criticism and use it to improve. Last I checked, none of us are bestselling authors, here. We all have room to improve, and whatever you've written for your nation is not perfect. You don't have to bend to every suggestion, but be courteous when feedback is given and take it under consideration at the least. It is not a personal attack on you.

* Fill out your wiki with this information. It's great reading, and gives people an idea of who you are and how you work. You can play with format a bit too if you don't like the whole "here is our timeline" deal. (See Empire of the Riven Moon's page and member pages for an example.)

ROLE PLAYING

* Remember: RP is strongly encouraged. I don't care whether or not you do it, but I do want you to respect those who do. You don't have to toss around thees and thous and crap -- hell, you don't have to RP at all. But at the least do respect that other people want to and don't completely ruin their experience. :P

* It takes two to RP -- it's a community project. If you want to have your own little story where no one else affects its direction unless you dictate it, go write fanfiction. Role playing is about telling a story communally. That means give and take. Remember that it's not just you telling your character's story, but everyone's characters weaving a narrative together, and as a result, it is never all about you.

* Being gracious is more important than winning. This ties into the above and is particularly important on a server like this, where there is conflict nigh constantly. Conflict means there are both victors and, yes, losers, and you cannot be the victor all the time. When you are in a position of defeat, whether it's outfought, outsmarted, whatever, I expect each and every one of you to be gracious and keep to the rules. Just because someone caught you in a trap is not cause to start using the lagblock glitch to bust out, for example. You always have options. I'm not saying you have to fully accept defeat -- maybe you want to bide your time and see if your friends can pull off an amazing rescue or something -- but I AM saying that OOCly I expect you to take it on the chin and be a good sport.

This isn't just a "please be nice to each other" thing -- I do not want poor sports and sore losers on this server and will not condone that sort of behavior. I'm not talking bannings, but it is not going to put you in our good graces. It's a terrible attitude to have on a server like this.

* If you're clearly RPing with someone and something must be said OOC, denote it somehow. This depends on the people involved, natch, and if you're both comfortable with just saying whatever then that's how it'll be. But if you're in RP and you have to go, put parentheses around your OOC comment for the sake of everyone else.

This is so lax it's not even funny. I really don't care. But use common sense -- if it's someone who doesn't know your style and you have to say something OOC in the middle of IC talk, it might be best to differentiate.

* Participating in and adding to admin events is great! Expecting admins to go along with whatever you do is not. So there are some admin shenanigans going on right now, as happen from time to time, and people are going nuts with theories and such. That's fantastic, and I really encourage people to do that. While we do have an overarching plan in mind, we like to take bits and pieces from what people do to get them involved.

That said, never, ever expect an admin to make you special, important, or otherwise crucial to the plot simply because you want it really hard or you ask for it. We use the people who fit roles we have in mind naturally, and it makes for a more organic experience. This is better than trying to jam people into holes they might not fit. We want to involve all of you, every last one. But it may not be on your terms, and you need to accept that.

Along a similar line, if you start RPing a story or what-have-you, great. Roll with it. But do not expect us to incorporate whatever you're doing into our plan. We may, if we like what's happening and it fits with our scheme, but it is not guaranteed. Sometimes we speak in riddles. Sometimes your theories will be wrong. That doesn't mean you should stop theorizing -- far from it! -- but do not become disappointed when your picture of the scenario doesn't match our own.

Go forth and make your stuff awesome, ladies and gents. If you have any questions about lore, for admins or each other, post it here.
<Emp> my fist will meet your face
<Emp> your nipples will feed the starving
Cyster

Timezone: PST
In Game: Cyster
Time Cloaked: Choice Pending

Re: N@W and Nation Lore: How to Swing It

Postby TheLion69er » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:36 pm

Cyster wrote:You'll never see pigmen this season,

Let the speculation commence!
Former Member of the Riptide Cartel
Current Member of Antares

The Official Diplomat for the Nation of Antares

Magma Hand of Hammerseat
Known as Fiskav on Bay12
TheLion69er

Postby Falconer13 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:39 am

Cyster wrote:Last I checked, none of us are bestselling authors, here.

Yet.
"The world exists because all the Elements are bound together...There is a duality of life and wrath to every Element... An Aspect of an Element alone is fleeting, and of little use to anyone."-Writings of an Unknown Sage of the Resin Elementi
Falconer13

Postby Krazyguy75 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:29 am

I will alter my nation's lore to coincide more with your guideset.
Hello darkness my old friend...
Krazyguy75
Tribesman of the Mavi

Time Cloaked: Willing

Postby Cyster » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:31 am

These are just tips. If you want to be completely out there, I can't stop you, but I'll guarantee you people will be less inclined to RP with you and will probably never believe anything you say in regards to history. *shrug*
Cyster

Postby Krazyguy75 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:23 pm

Well, I'm going to use some mods on my non-n@w minecraft, and create some screenshots for old Citaria, too. But I'm tying it more into the history of N@W (EX: adding the necromancer and magi) while stating facts that show that it is not the same future (EX: In Citaria's history, the moon is whole).

The main place I got my details from was I was imagining what would happen if N@W met the technic modpack.
Hello darkness my old friend...
Krazyguy75
Tribesman of the Mavi

Time Cloaked: Willing

Re: N@W, Nation Lore, and RP: How to Swing It

Postby Cyster » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:45 pm

So of late we've been seeing a lot of RP, which is great! However, I have started to see some concerning practices and I'd like to try to minimize them as much as possible. To that end, I put RP crap in the OP.
Cyster

Re: N@W, Nation Lore, and RP: How to Swing It

Postby Cyster » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:27 pm

This is now stickied. Read it, learn it, live it.
Cyster

Postby lobartolini » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:05 am

Krazyguy75 wrote:and magi)

Will they even be in S3? Or did they disobey the gods or something...
Yeah if a new guy makes a hole every single new people fall into them. Thats the way n@w works. -charminisokay
lobartolini
Workman of Garrodum

In Game: Lobster Martini

Some tips.

Postby JethroRayne » Thu May 17, 2012 6:02 pm

* Being gracious is more important than winning.

I've RP'd in other forums extensively before. (yell if any of you were a member of The Tolkien Forum for years. :P) Anyways, another tip to add to this is no god-ing. (close to the explanation in the Being Gracious)
A couple examples of god-ing and other RPing tips

God-ing 1) You're playing as yourself and then suddenly make another RP'r do something.
*Jethro looked around the bar, and then Cyster came up to him, "Hi" Jethro nodded at Cyster.*
Let other people decide if they want to come over to you, or stab somebody else, you don't have control over them in RL, so don't control them in RP. (unless you have them tied up of course.)

God-ing 2) Causing a random NPC(s) to appear for no reason. *Jethro was walking along the path when suddenly seven creepers ambushed him!* It's fun to be in a group and be attacked by some NPCs, I've had a great time having a tavern fight set in Middle Earth, but the group of thugs rushed in to attack a certain someone and therefor had a purpose. The people RPing fighters got up and each took on one or two and the other travelers either ran or just stayed out of the way, which brings me to my next point.

Tip 1) Don't be greedy. ;) If there does happen to be a group of NPCs attacking, don't try and hoard every single one of them. Take on one or maybe two if the odds are against you and let other players join in on the fight.

Tip 2) Don't be overpowering 'WIN', my character in that tavern fight fought and dispatched two thugs, and then got hit over the head with a chair leg. So he was out of the picture until another player picked him up off the floor and put me in one of the Inn's rooms. Having weaknesses and failures builds your character, they don't usually detract from it.

Tip 3) Be reactionary 90% of the time. What this means is that you reply and move according to how the people 'around' you are moving. If someone runs up to you screaming that there's orcs coming up the road you're walking down, don't make your next post say *And the day was sunny and bright and perty and nothing was amiss.*
Either start screaming and running yourself or tightening up that armor of yours.

Tip 4) Lead 10% of the time. Leading is creating an event for people to react to, if everyone leads most of the time, there's too many events to try to react to, and the RP gets stale. It takes practice to see when and if you should inject a new event or NPC into the RP, but it gets easier the more you participate.

Now, I just need to find time to get into these RPs here, been waaaay busy lately.
He who walks in the Dark is not always of the Dark.
JethroRayne
Workman of Garrodum

In Game: JethroRayne

Return to Chronicles of Conflict