Is Undertale a horror game?

Anything not relating to Minecraft goes here.

Moderator: Lunysgwen

Is Undertale a horror game?

Postby Rvanbergen » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:26 pm

Hi.
I've been thinking about picking up Undertale, but there's a huge thing bugging me, and I'd like to ask anyone who played it one simple question: Is Undertale a horror game, or does it simply use some horror elements?
Because if it is a horror game, I unfortunately can't play it.

It's not because I'm easily scared (I watched shows with some really disturbing shit without flinching), but truly horrifying experiences creep me out, for one and only one reason: I can't easily separate fantasy from reality.
I know that sounds really bad, but give me a moment to explain what I mean.

I know fantasy and reality are two entirely different things. I go through my days pretty sure I'm seeing the same things everyone else is seeing. It's not like I believe monsters are going to come through my door to eat me or something. But when I'm really tired, when I'm lying in bed trying to sleep, I sometimes can't help but think: "What if?"
There are so many things in our world that we know nothing about. What if, by some bizarre coincidence, something is out there trying to eat me?
I know that's laughable. I laugh at the thought myself whenever I'm awake. But that doesn't help me to sleep.

Now, we get back to Undertale. From everything I've heard, I don't think it's truly a horror game. But if it is, and I play it without knowing and find something truly disturbing, something that's designed to be a bad ending in the worst sense, then that something is going to follow me to bed and rob me of hours of sleep.
I don't want that. I'm pretty sure you understand what I mean when I say I don't want that. So I ask again: Is Undertale a horror game?

PS: I know about [Spoilered to prevent people who haven't played it from finding out:]
Spoiler:
Flowey's final boss fight in the neutral run. I saw a video of it on YouTube.
AKA Rvan. That's R.van; you pronounce it as "Ar-van", not "R-van".

--
"Life's short. Then you die. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order."
--

“No Fishing in Elevator!”
-Nowan123
Rvanbergen
Workman of Garrodum

In Game: Rvanbergen
Time Cloaked: Choice Pending

Re: Is Undertale a horror game?

Postby Krazyguy75 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:34 pm

No, it's not a horror game.

It's more like a fantasy RPG with intense emotional interaction. If anything, the thing that will horrify you the most is the decisions you have made. That and maybe the fact that the game will never let your forget it. You killed them, and the world will never forget.

Have fun!
Hello darkness my old friend...
Krazyguy75
Tribesman of the Mavi

Time Cloaked: Willing

Postby BlackholeNW » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:49 am

There are sections which are "scary" I guess but it's not a horror game, although I don't know the extent of your issue with "horror" content so I can't really advise you.
Slightly baffled co-founder of the Time-Cloaked Order. :'D

Darix Palkiren - Thane of Space.
Erfasin Fastoraanum - Pyromaniac.

You can't play in lava; it's no fun.
You can only die in lava.
BlackholeNW
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: BlackholeMC

Postby BrickWork » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:46 am

A great comparison is Earthbound. Undertale is basically Earthbound but with a different plot, setting, game mechanics, art style, etc.

The scariest looking thing in the game would have to be the final boss encountered on a certain route, (there are 3). Here's a picture that won't really spoil anything, since you don't know what it is until you get to the part:
Spoiler:

That is the scariest looking thing in the game, and the only thing that looks like that. Everything else is in the regular art style (pixels!) you can see from pictures of the game.

There is one part on that route earlier on that has a creepy setting and music. Of the whole route, this part probably makes up less than 1/8th. The setting looks like this:
Spoiler:

The things you fight look like this:
Spoiler:

These are the only scary elements in this game (other than Temmie village.... We don't go there anymore). I've also tried to make sure that I didn't make this game look scarier than it is, because horror is in no way a theme of this game. If the pictures don't bug you, then you should be fine with playing. If the pictures do bug you, then you should play it with a blindfold on because the music is too great.
*** Looking for potential quotes to fill this space ***
BrickWork
Workman of Garrodum

In Game: BrickWork

Postby charmisokay » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:35 am

People react differently to different things, I honestly don't think it is scary what so ever, but some people are terrified by the game. There are no jumpscares, but some pretty dark things are revealed throughout the story. Themes such as suicide, meaninglessness, mutation and being powerless against great evil caused by yourself (thus being unable to escape the consequences of your actions, and your past) all make up the horror-esque sides of the game.
Proud citizen of The Hammersong Empire.
Blood lord of Hammerseat.
-
The puncher of wolves.
The accelerator of things.
charmisokay
Tribesman of the Mavi

Postby gigyas6 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:25 pm

charm u dik

Undertale is... A really hard beast to describe. I can't accurately tell you what about the game is scary and what about it is not scary without spoiling the entire game. The game is more spoiler-sensitive than anything I've ever seen in my life.

Let me put it like this: The game is scary and dark. But it's only that way if you let it. It responds more than anything I've seen.
And if you walk a dark path, you're gonna see some shit.

There is a lot of psychological horror that exists within the game, but the severity of it to someone who absconds from horror is difficult to gauge. A lot of it you can avoid. Some of it is necessary.

Ultimately, it's not a horror game. It's not designed to be. But it's not designed to not be a horror game. I've seen things in the game darker than Lovecraft and I've seen other things lighter than kid's shows. There are no limits, and it's difficult to see where that starts and where that stops.

If you're truly sensitive to horror stuff, I'd suggest either experiencing it vicariously or playing it with a friend. It's definitely worth experiencing in some fashion, but if this is a concern at all it'd probably be best to use kid's gloves, and take it on slowly.
ggnaw.mcnode.net N@W Community server
gigyas6
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: gigyas6

Postby almiteycow » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:37 am

BrickWork wrote:A great comparison is Earthbound. Undertale is basically Earthbound but with a different plot, setting, game mechanics, art style, etc.

Wut. An airplane is basically a cat, but a different attitude, setting, mechanics, looks, etc.
<Emp> There are only three acceptable reasons to call me at 5am. He will die for his crimes.
<Feldherren> If he sounds tipsy he's probably dead drunk.
<EmpC> I have seen moo dead drunk, I left him in Seattle. And yes, dwarves are weird
almiteycow

Timezone: PST/PDT
In Game: almiteycow

Postby BrickWork » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:47 pm

almiteycow wrote:
BrickWork wrote:A great comparison is Earthbound. Undertale is basically Earthbound but with a different plot, setting, game mechanics, art style, etc.

Wut. An airplane is basically a cat, but a different attitude, setting, mechanics, looks, etc.

EXACTLY. But on the inside, that cat too might have a dream of flying, just like that plane.
*** Looking for potential quotes to fill this space ***
BrickWork
Workman of Garrodum

In Game: BrickWork

Return to Off Topic