Townsfolk

Anything not relating to Minecraft goes here.

Moderator: Lunysgwen

Townsfolk

Postby gigyas6 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:33 am

I've been running a digital tabletop game for some time now. Unfortunately, just recently the party wiped during a random encounter. They got an unlucky string of bad rolls and it ended up just screwing them.

Fortunately, everyone was cool with it and we're starting a new campaign pretty soon, within the same world but slightly in the future and in another country.

For those who know of the setting, we're playing in Pathfinder's base setting of Golarion, and the new campaign will be starting off in Cheliax.
For those that don't know, Cheliax is literally an evil country. No. Literally. There are devils floating around the citadel - and they're there on purpose. The state-mandated religion is in reverence towards Asmodeus - an archdevil who acquired divinity and is typically pretty evil (although debatebly one of the lesser evil deities). There's an order of knights who see Hell as being an ideal to base civilization off of.
However, most folks aren't evil or (even if they are) don't see Cheliax as being all that evil and all that bad. There are just things that are taken for granted and people just assume is okay - like enslavement of Halflings as a general rule, and consolidations of power.
Other than that, Cheliax is "Lawful Evil" without being "Twirl-Mustache-And-Tie-People-To-Train-Tracks-While-Kicking-Babies Evil". It's bureaucratic. It doesn't currently seek out war or desire to further claim any land. Hell, its origins link back to a human empire trying to find itself in the world, only devolving to its current state because their god literally died. God, I'm actually sticking up for the place...
Anyway, it's not all bad, and even the evilness and stout bureaucracy of the place can be worked with and around - even in the direction of good.

Now, I'm a big fan of fluff, and have been working on a relatively small, peaceful village to start the players off in proper. There's already some events lined up, there's a priestess for the local church, a mayor, and a knight overseeing the town.

The reason I'm posting this is because I'd love to see some additional villagers and such with proper personalities and concepts fill out the town and make it more of a living breathing thing - so I'm asking you folks to make some NPCs.

General guidelines:
Town is Lawful Neutral (orderly and structured without being necessarily selfish or compassionate - townsfolk can have alignments of any type, but they'll generally float around this)
Halflings tend to be slaves
Entire country is comprised primarily of humans given its history
Reverence to other gods is aloud by the state, as long as it doesn't get in the way of the primary religion

Other than that, go crazy. Hell, breaking those above guidelines can make interesting NPCs. If you're familiar with Pathfinder rules in general, you can even expand a bit on that horizon. Describe them as much or as little as you like.
Or post nothing. I'm not bothered one way or the other.

If you do post a NPC to live in this little slice of... Hell? Heaven? I'm not quite sure what's more appropriate here - in this little quaint town, I'll give updates as the PCs interact with them, and as things change so you know how your folk (or folks) is doing.
ggnaw.mcnode.net N@W Community server
gigyas6
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: gigyas6
Time Cloaked: Choice Pending

Re: Townsfolk

Postby charmisokay » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:44 pm

Sir Sebastian L'roe is an ex-paladin, his allignment is lawful neutral. He's a man slightly past his prime, his hair coated in a light grey undertone. He now works as the bodyguard of the Mayor, whose daughter he's married to. (And may or may not have something to do with him no longer being a paladin.) Sebastian is a smart and skillful man, and is a good bodyguard.

He has an intolerance of werewolves and posses some wealth of his own. He may be interested in paying for werewolf heads, but it is unlikely that the party can get their hands on something like that at the beginning (I'd assume.)

(Sorry for the plain sentence construction, I'm tired. :P)
Proud citizen of The Hammersong Empire.
Blood lord of Hammerseat.
-
The puncher of wolves.
The accelerator of things.
charmisokay
Tribesman of the Mavi

Time Cloaked: Willing

Re: Townsfolk

Postby Krazyguy75 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:47 am

Got 2 for you right now.

Rodney Kaylar: Chaotic neutral black market dealer. Well, he isn't truly a black market dealer, as nothing he does is strictly illegal, and he will make you suffer a bureaucratic catastrophe if you challenge the legality. However, his logic in following the rules is nearly diabolical.

He is nearing 60 years of age but looks like he is in his late 30s/40s due to appearance enhancing drug use. He hates people that spend too much time talking, and is a man of few words himself.

Many of his products have misleading descriptions that he uses to raise the price, and he often sells subtly cursed items by giving all the benefits they provide without telling the curses. Most of his pieces have a huge story behind them that raises to price.

You might ask why anyone would buy from this man, but his true power is in his connections. He can usually find most obscure goods and get them within a month of you asking. He also trades in information, but he is not afraid to subtly twist the information to lead others into doing his dirty work. And his most dangerous product is drugs. He sells many drugs, from purely entertainment drugs (addicting or not) to powerful temporary power boosters.

Class wise, he is an alchemist, and while he is low level, his guards are high level, and should you harm him, many people of significant status would take actions against you.

Aaron Tyn: A mercenary and slaver who is true evil. He does not distribute slaves; his primary source of income is captured criminals sold to slave dealers. He will often trick others into breaking the law and then hunt them down and sell them.

He is a low level assassin, and he paralyzes his targets and has friends in the more evil churches that remove the paralysis when he has finished capturing and restraining them.
Hello darkness my old friend...
Krazyguy75
Tribesman of the Mavi

Time Cloaked: Willing

Return to Off Topic