Good RPG simulators?

Anything not relating to Minecraft goes here.

Moderator: Lunysgwen

Good RPG simulators?

Postby Krazyguy75 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:11 pm

Hey, I recently moved away from my home of 14 years, and I left a bunch of friends behind. We used to play different RPGs (D&D and the like), and I was wondering if any of you knew a good piece of software that would let us continue playing together online.

My price range is somewhere between $20-30 max, but I'm not above spending more if you really think it is worth it.
Hello darkness my old friend...
Krazyguy75
Tribesman of the Mavi

Time Cloaked: Willing

Re: Good RPG simulators?

Postby gigyas6 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:25 pm

Roll20 is completely free, easy to use, in-browser, and easy to connect with other people who have a Roll20 account. I use this regularly. It also has built-in options for audio and video chat. It takes literally seconds to set up a room with everyone in it - any additional setup would be for the game itself.
If you want to shell out money for it, it has two different tiers of subscription costing 5 and 10 USD a month. At $5, you get Dynamic Lighting (really nifty for dark places, and can even be used in well-lit places for things like LOS) and additional management features. At $10, you also get access to the API (which can be used to code cool things if you're into that - or use code made by other users), experimental features, and a large number of the store's tokens (there's a number in there that are already free, and you can import your own tokens). Subscription is mostly to help the devs work on the engine, so rewards aren't too great if I'm being honest, but they're not bad if you want to give money and know that ahead of time.

MapTools, also known as RPTools, is another completely free, Java based downloadable digital tabletop. It is completely customizable, down to macros and token interactions, and is very open in it's use. However, it's quite a bit harder to use than Roll20 if you don't already have macros, and connecting to your friends can be a chore. Unlike Roll20, there's no central server, so you have to connect peer-to-peer. Hamachi can help with direct connect, just like it could for other things back in the day, but even that's not a perfect fix.
Otherwise, it's a pretty good sandbox which is typically what you'd want.

Last off the top of my head is Tabletop Simulator, on Steam. TS is a bit pricey, as you're looking at about 20 USD per person - $15 if you buy the 4 pack. It's more like a game, however, with the way that it plays. Dice are actually rolled with proper physics, and many miniatures are animated. It's also a large sandbox, and can be used to play any board game online in a way other engines can't. That being said, it's very faulty with connections - often having people whole-sale drop out - and can be tedious to set up rooms and dungeons with. It's much more useful for playing other board games with, but it can be used for D&D.
ggnaw.mcnode.net N@W Community server
gigyas6
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: gigyas6
Time Cloaked: Choice Pending

Postby Krazyguy75 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:21 pm

Thank you very much, I'll look into all of those!
Krazyguy75
Tribesman of the Mavi

Postby charmisokay » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:25 pm

Yeal Roll20 is my personal favorite, it works really well.
Proud citizen of The Hammersong Empire.
Blood lord of Hammerseat.
-
The puncher of wolves.
The accelerator of things.
charmisokay
Tribesman of the Mavi

Postby DreXav » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:55 pm

I second Roll20, it is both free and has great array of intuitive features, plus it is a great community hub :)
DreXav
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: DreXav
Time Cloaked: Unwilling

Postby Empirical » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:08 am

We use Roll20 when we play.

If you're using v3.5 D&D, this is useful: http://www.d20srd.org/
Professional Cat Herder

Cobble Baron

<Cyster> ... your specialty seems to be reading things without absorbing any of it. :P
Empirical
Presiding Server Overlord

Timezone: EST (GMT -5)
In Game: Empirical
Time Cloaked: Choice Pending

Postby Krazyguy75 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:59 am

Empirical wrote:We use Roll20 when we play.

If you're using v3.5 D&D, this is useful: http://www.d20srd.org/

Oh, I know d20srd. I used it all the time. We've mostly gone on to PF, but we still use 3.5 from time to time (and sometimes allow it in pathfinder games). I also use http://dndtools.pw/, which has a load of stuff on it, but not all of the rules for the stuff.
Krazyguy75
Tribesman of the Mavi

Return to Off Topic