Tabletop question

Anything not relating to Minecraft goes here.

Moderator: Lunysgwen

Tabletop question

Postby gigyas6 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:08 am

Not in the way you might think.

I've been making a tabletop RPG for a little over two years now. Of course, this has mainly been a little back-burner project, so it's not fully fledged, and nowhere near ready for anything resembling a playtest.

The game's concept can best be described as "Harvest Moon RPG", although it's a little more involved than that, and has other life-sim elements as well. Basically, instead of playing some mighty hero, you're just a normal, common folk. Things will still happen, but events will act more on the level of Little House on the Prairie rather than Game of Thrones.

Now that that's out of the way... I started delving into a bit of a class system in the vain of D&D but wasn't sure if that would fit or if that would even appeal to folks.

So, the question.

In a life-sim tabletop RPG, do classes seem more interesting and useful, or something more akin to a feature buying system?

Not making a poll since I would like to hear more intricate responses.
ggnaw.mcnode.net N@W Community server
gigyas6
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: gigyas6
Time Cloaked: Choice Pending

Re: Tabletop question

Postby charmisokay » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:51 am

I think you should make it sort of like Small Word, where each player takes one card from two piles, one of them is a profession card and the other is a "special" card, or personality card. The profession card would have a picture of a male and female person of said profession, along with some basic stats/ablities, but the personality would also grant you some stats.
You might, for example, become an "Impulsive" "Salesman", The impulsive card would probably give you a small boost to the game's "Quickness" stat, as well as make you the first mover each turn. While Salesman might give you a bonus to something akin to charisma/willpower and better deals.

Some "mission/event" cards could have special effects on certain characters. For example, taking the example above, a "long and boresome car trip" might be "one step" harder for an impulsive character, and one step easier for a patient character.

Of course, I don't really know how you want this game to work out, so this might not be ideal - but I think i sounds rather cool.
Proud citizen of The Hammersong Empire.
Blood lord of Hammerseat.
-
The puncher of wolves.
The accelerator of things.
charmisokay
Tribesman of the Mavi

Time Cloaked: Willing

Postby gigyas6 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:40 am

charmisokay wrote:-snip snap to the grizzity grap-

This would be more akin to D&D, and what you're describing is more like a board game. I also have issue with making character creation up to chance if a player is intended to play with that character for a long time.
However, certain stats being hindering to you actually seems rather interesting, and in a way is something already being implemented, but not quite in this way. Personality traits also sound interesting. Thanks for the input!
ggnaw.mcnode.net N@W Community server
gigyas6
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: gigyas6

Postby charmisokay » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:52 am

You can still use the system, but perhaps let player choose between to lists, kinda like what's done in Numanera?
Proud citizen of The Hammersong Empire.
Blood lord of Hammerseat.
-
The puncher of wolves.
The accelerator of things.
charmisokay
Tribesman of the Mavi

Time Cloaked: Willing

Postby Feldherren » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:51 pm

Classes are very rigid. I think you'd be better off going with a more freeform system of character building/development. Classes lead to rather two-dimensional characters in terms of ability, and if you're going more for a slice-of-life game than a swords 'n monsters thing, and if ability is important, I think it's all the more important to allow characters to be diverse.

What's important to your system? For DnD, important skills are 'adventurer' stuff; things not covered by the system need to be explained as coming under some adventurer skill, or need to be justified by a character's history. 'Of course I know about lilies; I have ranks in Craft (Poison) and I've used lilies before' despite not being a Druid, or 'yes, I know how to sew; my backstory says I was a sailor for several years' despite not having Craft (Clothing) or whatever.
But mechnically one Fighter isn't that different from another Fighter outside of a fight.

Are skills going to be important, and matter? Quantify them, but keep in mind you're going to get people with rather diverse abilities. I can code, I can sing and I have various random pieces of art lying around on deviantart that people seem to like. What class covers that?
<almiteycow> feld go stand next to this wall!
<almiteycow> feld lay down on this road!
<Feldherren> Someone two metres tall is 1.3 felds.
<almiteycow> oh lord
<almiteycow> my brain is breaking
Feldherren
Emp's Little Proof Reader

In Game: Feldherren

Return to Off Topic