Season 3 (Input)

General discussion related to N@W. Questions, concerns, comments - this is your place.

Moderator: Lunysgwen

Re: Season 3 (Input)

Postby Captain Bounceraff » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:40 pm

orionic wrote:/rant

I could not agree more.

Looking back on why I joined N@W in the first place, I had two reasons: the talented building, and the role-playing.

What intrigued me the most and drove me to want to be a part of this community wasn't the game mechanics, or the war system, or even the nation mechanics (although they were all huge bonuses). What really grabbed my attention here was the stories and characters and commitment to RP; the idea that one is part of a group in a vast, mysterious world full of secrets, enemies, and wonders waiting to be explored and interacted with.

It's easy to say "We'll set up nations this way and here's how they'll fight" . . there are literally thousands of those servers. But none that I found could really compare to the depth of immersion that I saw here, the desire to create stories and places with stories attached to them.

In the first wave of season 3 development, with the gods and priests and everyone picking sides and playing into those social orders and characters, I was blown away and completely stoked to be part of it. I remember getting into some friendly debates here with some fire and earth folk. Not because they had a label under their name that was different than mine, but because they were misguided blasphemers who never understood or appreciated the divine majesty that is Water.

If nothing else, this is why I joined N@W; this is what I want to see in season 3.
- She's a cruel Mistress.
Captain Bounceraff
Stargazer of Astracarn

Timezone: PDT
In Game: Bounceraff
Time Cloaked: Choice Pending

Postby dRuNk HiPpi » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:54 pm

Completely unrelated to anything previously discussed in here...

I'm not sure what you admin folk have planned for the nations as far as capitals go, but instead of giving us a fancy premade one, I think it would be better if the players established a capital for their own factions. Possibly make it a build contest similar to Season 1, maybe extend the deadline to more than a week. That way, everyone in the faction has one focused goal for their nation rather than scurrying off to form their own cities ASAP.

Also, what do you guys have planned as far as leading the nation as a whole? Will an admin lead, or will a player/ group of players be leading? Is there anything you have planned for the plug-in as far as hierarchy, to ensure that the people founding towns/cities cooperate with faction leaders rather than oppose them?

Also, one of my biggest complaints from Season 2 was that coordinating with people outside of your nation was nigh impossible using in game chat. The party chat only allowed a certain amount of people. I would've liked an "Alliance Chat" that functioned similar to Nation Chat, but included multiple nations. I feel as if something similar to this will be needed in order for different towns within a single faction to communicate effectively.

Other than everything I've brought up, I just want war to be fixed. Season 2 was really disappointing in that regard. Also, maybe add a way to occupy/annex territory, so that we never have a Stoneholm situation again.
Former Member of Earth Nation
Former Fearless Leader of The Wall
Current Member of Team Murderface

almiteycow:"Fuck you, you're on my server now!"
[2:45:16 AM] almiteycow disconnected.
dRuNk HiPpi
Tribesman of the Mavi

Timezone: GMT -5:00
USA EST
In Game: dRuNk_HiPpi

Postby Sheez » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:42 am

dRuNk HiPpi wrote:Completely unrelated to anything previously discussed in here...

I'm not sure what you admin folk have planned for the nations as far as capitals go, but instead of giving us a fancy premade one, I think it would be better if the players established a capital for their own factions. Possibly make it a build contest similar to Season 1, maybe extend the deadline to more than a week. That way, everyone in the faction has one focused goal for their nation rather than scurrying off to form their own cities ASAP.

Also, what do you guys have planned as far as leading the nation as a whole? Will an admin lead, or will a player/ group of players be leading? Is there anything you have planned for the plug-in as far as hierarchy, to ensure that the people founding towns/cities cooperate with faction leaders rather than oppose them?

Also, one of my biggest complaints from Season 2 was that coordinating with people outside of your nation was nigh impossible using in game chat. The party chat only allowed a certain amount of people. I would've liked an "Alliance Chat" that functioned similar to Nation Chat, but included multiple nations. I feel as if something similar to this will be needed in order for different towns within a single faction to communicate effectively.

Other than everything I've brought up, I just want war to be fixed. Season 2 was really disappointing in that regard. Also, maybe add a way to occupy/annex territory, so that we never have a Stoneholm situation again.

So, this is all stuff I can answer pretty easily.

Capitals are pretty flexible. It will essentially be a center point. There might be very basic stuff there that the players can run with or ignore. We'd like players to build the world. So no worries there. You won't start in a huge city that is already built and forces your hand.

Admins won't play. We won't lead nations. We saw what it has done on other servers and it tends to be toxic and crappy. We will likely pop in as NPC controllers at times but leadership will be player based. Hierarchy is a thing that exists in our plans. Each city will have a leader and so on. These towns are all tied to the same faction so there will be limits on what you can do to upset your neighbors. We want people to fight the other factions and that is going to be built in.

I'll have Sheez chime in on chat but I think we had an idea to incorporate a better chat system compared to what we have seen. I like the idea of factions being able to communicate. We have talked about limiting it based on distance but I have some other ideas that might be better.

War. War is our big one. We want to fix the major problem that all of these faction servers face and that is the ability to just sit there and antagonize from behind walls. Siege will negate that but not to the extent that it fucks over RP focused folks. That will require the most testing. You are all welcome to be involved.

Sheez is doing some amazing work on getting our plugins lined out lately. I've been in a bad place so I've not helped much but despite that I am working on my Java. Sheez and I can actually speak about code with each other and mostly understand it. It's nice.
Sheez

Postby Foodwrap » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:30 am

Well I wasn't expecting the community at all and even a server albeit unofficial. I can be more active if I need to be. My experience with N@W isn't that long. I only got to play a couple hours into season 2 before it went into the preseason 3 stuff. I joined one of the factions and played until it got disbanded don't remember why (We had a bunch of sheep in a pen, so many sheep it needed 4 chunks to be loaded). The faction community had a presence which was great. Even though I usually play the "hermit" type (I'm a horrible parasite that needs to be smitten), I provided resources to our faction secretly (though now that I think about someone could have found me easily).

This was just to sum up most of my experience so far.

Now onto the ideas. I haven't played vanilla minecraft in a couple years.

First what I want to say is why create a new idea when we can borrow ideas from tested applications. I'm meaning from other games. Many of the ideas talked about in this forum (I lost track of all the combat stuff) has almost always been done before just with a new flare. Most of the combat and war/sieges can be taken from other MMORPGs. Guild Wars 2 is a great example with their WvW.

Second the perk system. I think to give the player an illusion of solo play, we need to force (I don't really like saying it like that) players to only be able to select a few perks so that they will have to have others fill in the gaps that they can't fill. It shouldn't keep a player from not doing what minecraft allows them to do. To make it allow for more depth synergy should be added to Non-Combat skills (I don't have any example at the moment). This would push people to work with other players in the community and faction. We would need to balance the benefits given by the perks with the amount of total perks there are(to encourage bigger group play). The combat perks can be played around with to add more depth. For example a combat perk could look something like this

Shield Wall - for each player with this perk and a shield equipped within a certain distance you gain a #% resistance to arrows and half as much to others
The wording will need some work but this kind of perk encourages group play and provides a bigger role for shield users (I'm going off what other people have said that shields are being added). We should probably get a list of potential perks

Spoiler:
I don't know how much time I can spare to code.
Foodwrap
Workman of Garrodum

In Game: foodwrap

Previous

Return to General Discussion