Season 3 Documents

General discussion related to N@W. Questions, concerns, comments - this is your place.

Moderator: Lunysgwen

Season 3 Documents

Postby almiteycow » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:05 pm

So, you want Season 3?

We're going through and cleaning up/moving around design docs for you guys to be able to use them. Finish the design! Contribute code! Burn down this ivory tower of slow admin development!

Google Drive (Design): https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
Github (Code): https://github.com/NationsAtWar

We'll post updates in this thread as we add stuff to the drive.
<Emp> There are only three acceptable reasons to call me at 5am. He will die for his crimes.
<Feldherren> If he sounds tipsy he's probably dead drunk.
<EmpC> I have seen moo dead drunk, I left him in Seattle. And yes, dwarves are weird
almiteycow

Timezone: PST/PDT
In Game: almiteycow
Time Cloaked: Choice Pending

Re: Season 3 Documents

Postby _myst_ » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:00 am

. . . But of course the Admins will continue to work on S3 development, as per multiple past statements promising to deliver S3 to the community, correct? Our present server is, from the community's understanding, a stopgap measure until Season 3 comes to fruition, not us completely taking over development.
Season 2: Wanderer of Necropolis
Season 2.1: Frostmore Resident
Nations test: Stargazer of Astracarn
Dewcraft: Campaign challenged
House Mithorian: Tree-Hugger
Massivecraft: Builder of Bunkers
Unofficial Season: Thain of Sylven
Now where is my Season 3?!?!?
_myst_
The bot formerly known as jlpaugh121

Timezone: Pacific Standard
In Game: jlpaugh121

Postby BrickWork » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:07 am

I'll be learning the basics of modding with forge for a bit, then I'll see if I'm able to make something useful.
*** Looking for potential quotes to fill this space ***
BrickWork
Workman of Garrodum

In Game: BrickWork
Time Cloaked: Willing

Postby cgeyl » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:10 am

almiteycow wrote:So, you want Season 3?

He said, as though it were an unreasonable and childish expectation that after 3 years of development and two test servers by a group which has been promising a new season 'soon' we might actually get one.

But yeah, I reckon crowd sourcing the development might help pull the brakes off.
cgeyl
Stargazer of Astracarn

Postby gigyas6 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:54 am

Woah, woah.

Firstly, I don't think it's Moo's intent to come off as disparaging - particularly because most interactions with him so far has been excitement towards the fact that we're lighting a fire under our own collective asses and putting something together ourselves.

Secondly, the admins are people with stuff going on, too, and based on the design documents they've shared, there's been a LOT going on behind the scenes.

Thirdly, if this ends up becoming Season 3, so be it. I personally don't want that to happen - it seems very clear the admins have a straight-forward goal of what they want Season 3 to be and I think the new servers current goals, plugins, and desires might directly conflict with that idea. If Season 3 does come about, we can still figure out something to do with the server then, but I don't see any harm in - at least in the meantime - just treating this as a "S2.75".

Finally, I've been known to rant and get on admin's cases before - it's a thing that happens sometimes. But Moo's not on some other, opposite team where he and the other admins plan our downfall and punish our hubris. We've all been in this big boat named "Waiting For Season 3" for several years now - it's affected all of us the same way. I'm glad we've got some fuel in our keisters, but now's the time to use that energy to do something productive, not just get in a huff.

Maybe I'm under that affect, too, given I'm giving a response like this after only really seeing two mildly annoyed comments. Let's just try to enjoy what we have for now.
ggnaw.mcnode.net N@W Community server
gigyas6
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: gigyas6

Postby cgeyl » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:11 am

gigyas6 wrote:Woah, woah.

Firstly, I don't think it's Moo's intent to come off as disparaging - particularly because most interactions with him so far has been excitement towards the fact that we're lighting a fire under our own collective asses and putting something together ourselves.

Secondly, the admins are people with stuff going on, too, and based on the design documents they've shared, there's been a LOT going on behind the scenes.

Thirdly, if this ends up becoming Season 3, so be it. I personally don't want that to happen - it seems very clear the admins have a straight-forward goal of what they want Season 3 to be and I think the new servers current goals, plugins, and desires might directly conflict with that idea. If Season 3 does come about, we can still figure out something to do with the server then, but I don't see any harm in - at least in the meantime - just treating this as a "S2.75".

Finally, I've been known to rant and get on admin's cases before - it's a thing that happens sometimes. But Moo's not on some other, opposite team where he and the other admins plan our downfall and punish our hubris. We've all been in this big boat named "Waiting For Season 3" for several years now - it's affected all of us the same way. I'm glad we've got some fuel in our keisters, but now's the time to use that energy to do something productive, not just get in a huff.

Maybe I'm under that affect, too, given I'm giving a response like this after only really seeing two mildly annoyed comments. Let's just try to enjoy what we have for now.

Don't think anyone's really being annoyed, I just thought it was funny the way moo prefaced his announcement.

In terms of actually letting us help in some of the slower parts of development I think it's a great idea. I'm sure that this will lead to more work being done on season 3 if that's still the main goal.

If we are going to start helping design stuff, should we start organising times to meet up on mumble so that we can keep our plans coherent admins can start delegating the longer tasks to people who've got time to make progress on them?
cgeyl
Stargazer of Astracarn

Postby almiteycow » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:22 pm

cgeyl wrote:In terms of actually letting us help in some of the slower parts of development I think it's a great idea. I'm sure that this will lead to more work being done on season 3 if that's still the main goal.

This! Exactly. My train of thought here is if we can work towards S3 in any way, it's worth a shot. We could use the help and you guys want it to happen, so if we can help each other, sounds like a good idea? It's better than cancelling it.

cgeyl wrote:If we are going to start helping design stuff, should we start organising times to meet up on mumble so that we can keep our plans coherent admins can start delegating the longer tasks to people who've got time to make progress on them?

That actually makes a bunch of sense. Some form of organization at least. What we need is someone to keep track of status and tasks actually. That and some plugin builders... (Thanks Brickwork!)

_myst_ wrote:. . . But of course the Admins will continue to work on S3 development, as per multiple past statements promising to deliver S3 to the community, correct? Our present server is, from the community's understanding, a stopgap measure until Season 3 comes to fruition, not us completely taking over development.

I think 'crowd-sourcing' is the right term. We've got a vision already down, we're not having you take it over. What we need help with is executing. I don't want to take over your community server. But, maybe we can work toward the same goal. We did design what we want to build with the idea that our plugins would work for other servers. We figure if someone wants to clone us, so be it. What makes us special is our lore, events, and community (in my opinion).

Like you guys want plot protection? https://github.com/NationsAtWar/Playground and https://github.com/NationsAtWar/Classroom - That's what those two do. Plot protection + player groups (nations/towns/whatever). If we can finish and bug test those together, it helps all of us.

If you build some cool terrain/trees/castles/ruins that we can use in the S3 map, again, helps all of us.

EDIT: Basically, I just want to harness some of your time, energy, interest.
<Emp> There are only three acceptable reasons to call me at 5am. He will die for his crimes.
<EmpC> I have seen moo dead drunk, I left him in Seattle. And yes, dwarves are weird
almiteycow

Postby cgeyl » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:36 pm

almiteycow wrote:I think 'crowd-sourcing' is the right term. We've got a vision already down, we're not having you take it over.

The way I see it is that you're just extending development to non-admin members of the community It's not really full on crowd sourcing, but it's also not just adding new admins. It might also be good to set up a new 'development team' forum where all the members can access development stuff separately.
cgeyl
Stargazer of Astracarn

Postby almiteycow » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:44 pm

cgeyl wrote:
almiteycow wrote:I think 'crowd-sourcing' is the right term. We've got a vision already down, we're not having you take it over.

The way I see it is that you're just extending development to non-admin members of the community It's not really full on crowd sourcing, but it's also not just adding new admins. It might also be good to set up a new 'development team' forum where all the members can access development stuff separately.

Hmm, okay... sounds right. Also, can you not see the dev forum?
almiteycow

Postby cgeyl » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:01 pm

almiteycow wrote:
cgeyl wrote:

Hmm, okay... sounds right. Also, can you not see the dev forum?

yeah I can,
cgeyl
Stargazer of Astracarn

Next

Return to General Discussion