Voting Council Application: Post Here

General discussion related to N@W. Questions, concerns, comments - this is your place.

Moderator: Lunysgwen

Re: Voting Council Application: Post Here

Postby Empirical » Tue May 22, 2012 5:53 am

We're working on it.
Professional Cat Herder

Cobble Baron

<Cyster> ... your specialty seems to be reading things without absorbing any of it. :P
Empirical
Presiding Server Overlord

Timezone: EST (GMT -5)
In Game: Empirical
Time Cloaked: Choice Pending

Postby Cyster » Wed May 30, 2012 5:57 pm

As of now, the results of all the applications that were posted have been dealt with. Check your PMs. If you don't have a PM from me... PM me and I'll see what went horribly awry. :P

Understand that you can still apply for the council as of now. We just wanted a good founding group of people in so we could get off the ground when applications open. If you think you have the good judge of character and reading comprehension needed to be on the voting council, don't hesitate to apply. :)
<Emp> my fist will meet your face
<Emp> your nipples will feed the starving
Cyster

Timezone: PST
In Game: Cyster

Postby Cyster » Wed May 30, 2012 11:32 pm

Once again: this post is only for applications, and I'll be deleting things that aren't applications.

If you have questions about the application process or the voting council, you're welcome to PM me.
<Emp> my fist will meet your face
<Emp> your nipples will feed the starving
Cyster

In Game: Cyster

Postby Saph » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:03 am

Name:
Saph

When did you join N@W?:
I joined in July of last year, not long before Season 2 started.

Why do you want to be on the Voting Council?:
I have a lot of love for N@W, and especially for its passionate and talented community -- hell, it's what keeps me around, even though life's been ridiculously busy. That said, the mix of building, PvE, PvP, and RP that forms the heart of this server isn't for everyone, as has been demonstrated several times throughout S2. It takes a particular person to really grasp how these different types of play fit together, and to be able to both have fun and be excellent sports about it. Nothing is perfect, of course, but N@W is a genuinely exceptional server, and that's in large part due to the (usually) awesome community here. That's the quality that I want to maintain by continuing to vote on apps with a discerning eye, as I have in the past few waves of applications.

tl;dr: Life's too short to put up with shitty people on the internet, but the time it takes to read an app (or a hundred) is infinitely preferred to putting up with weeks or months of bullshit down the line.

What qualities do you believe make a good applicant for N@W? Be as general or as specific as you like.:
As was mentioned briefly above, I'm interested in people who will genuinely fit and contribute positively to the community. Attitude is king, so to that end, these are the qualities I look for in every app (where the 'you' is the metaphorical applicant):

Thoughtfulness: You don't have to wax poetic (and really, it doesn't help), but you should be putting thought into the app. This is an app, and every question is there for a reason, so I expect a measure of consideration; flippant or careless answers are usually a sign of immaturity, a lack of understanding, laziness, or carelessness. I'm probably harsher on this than most, but I do make allowances for non-native speakers. That said, many of those traits are ultimately marks against you. If you don't understand a question for whatever reason, you should know to ask for clarification. It's not only a matter of being responsible, but being able to ask questions is also a skill that's very important and prevalent in day-to-day play. On the same note, if you're too intimidated to ask a question, that's probably a bad sign. :P

Comprehension: How many times has "read the fucking rules/mechanics/application instructions" come up? If you're looking to join a server, you should also be reading up on what you need to do to get in and how you'll be expected to behave, play, and communicate once you're in. Is the price of admission all of your monies? Do you start out with a stone sword in an arena full of ghasts (or by ritual drowning?) Granted, N@W's rules are quite reasonable, but you should still read them. And be able to explain the reasoning behind the rules to the people who already play under 'em.

Language and Attitude: Some of this is grammar. I majored in English in undergrad, so there's always a red pen in mind, if not in hand. The other part is how you present yourself, and what aspects you emphasize. If you're going on and on about how you want to be one badass mofo on this side of the seas, I'll also be looking for your ability to separate IC and OOC, and some respect for the players behind the avatars that you're attacking. Badassing. If you're focused on killing all the dudes and completely forgetting the "don't be a dick" side of things in your (hopefully) pre-meditated application, how can I possibly expect you to not be an asshat in the heat of the moment?

Sportsmanship and Gameplay: Like I mentioned in the previous question, N@W spans building, PvE, PvP, and RP. It's all right if you're not good at certain aspects -- few people are -- but you do have to understand and accept how these different kinds of play are going to affect your experience in the game. Someone's going to kill you sometime. You're going to walk right into a horde of monsters. Someone's probably going to place you on building or farming duty at some point, if you're not that kind of person normally. There are people who will do sometimes incomprehensible things and ask that you humor them and play along, and that sometimes you won't go for the kill (okay, rarely). And you're going to hit lag, as part of being on a server. Shit happens. I want to see that you get that, and that you're cool with it. Also that you can have fun on this server.

Minecraftin' Ability: A lot of this can be picked up over time. That said, this is a Minecraft server that prides itself on its builds, so you should at least be good at building, and if you're not exceptional, then at least be good at following instructions (especially if the instruction is "don't build a cobble box.") Likewise, everyone on the server should have respect for great builds. Killing players and stealing materials is in the spirit of the game, but not trashing all their buildings.

The rest of it is general impression, but that's generally what I'm looking for and how I evaluate an applicant.

Are you prepared to vote on every single application posted?:
I've read and voted on every app before, and I'll do it again if you'll have me. ;)
[20:11] <@Emp> throbbing if you will, one wrong stroke and it'll go everywhere
Saph
Stargazer of Astracarn

Timezone: Pacific
In Game: Saph

Postby DisposableLemur » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:48 pm

Name:
Disposable Lemur

When did you join N@W?:
I've been in N@W since day one. I was the tenth or so person dumped into the Earth Nation, and eventually worked (weaseled, back stabbed, and connived) my way onto the leadership council.

Because I believe in not only this game/mod, but in this community. I've had some amazing times with many of you, and still have some really delightful memories of both the first and second seasons. I've made friendships in N@W that have transcended the game and I play other games with these people, and know things about their lives. I'm not the most empathetic or caring person on an individual level sometimes, but I really care about this community, and I want it to continue to be as amazing as it has been in the past, and I believe that it has the capacity to become even more.

What qualities do you believe make a good applicant for N@W? Be as general or as specific as you like.:
There's a lot that goes into this.

Literacy
If I can't understand you without having to find a cipher to understand what you are typing, chatting, or trying to convey on the forums, I don't think anyone needs to deal with you.

Team Player
This one was evident a bit in season one, especially as we started running low on resources, and there were 50 different projects taking up limited space on our island. This reared it's head again in season 2 when there were scads of one and two man nations that never really accomplished anything. This is a game of nations, not of individuals. If you can't work as a team, and insist on doing your own thing, you are a detriment to your community.

Creativity
This one can be hard to spot in an application. Pictures of their work can help, but you never know if that is actually their work or not. Not every person playing needs to be a creative mind, as there can be too many cooks in the kitchen when it comes to nation design, but someone that can at least lend an eye, complete a task unattended, or overall add to the visual appeal of the game is an asset.

The rest of this can come down to gut instincts. Is this person going to stick around for more than a week? Will this person cause untold drama? Would YOU want to team up, or group with this person?

I've done so in the past, I can do so now.
DisposableLemur
Workman of Garrodum

In Game: disposablelemur

Postby Arco » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:26 pm

Oh boy... here we go...

Name:
Arco

When did you join N@W?:
Between season 1 and season 2.

In general, I feel like the voting council should represent the strictest and loftiest ideas of what our community should be. We have a very popular, in-demand server, and far more applicants than we should allow in. I feel like community voting has fallen short of these standards and let in some less-than-desirable people in the past, which I would like to prevent. Having been a victim of griefing in the past, I want to see it disappear from n@w. I want to do my part to ensure that we're not only disallowing inappropriate applicants from joining the server, but also doing our best to identify, foster, and encourage awesome people to join and find their stride. Minecraft is a game where talented, creative people can really thrive, and I want n@w to represent nothing but talented, creative people.

Intelligence, creativity, and patience. Intelligence to allow the player to communicate and interact in meaningful, articulate ways. N@W is a variant that naturally fosters interaction, and all too often that interaction turns into petty, stupid drama. Having intelligent members will cut down on the drama, while increasing the tension and conflict in awesome ways. No one is against the idea of PvP and conflict, but I think everyone is against what it very often erupts into.

Creativity because this is a game about RPing and constructing, and creative people lead to amazing things.

Patience because this is a slow game involving many people and many days, and patience is a virtue.

All that being said; some Minecraft/Lego/architecture chops never hurts, either.

Yep. I will.
Arco
Man-Ant of Garrodum

In Game: E_Arco

Postby gidgets » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:51 pm

I went to go check out the applications, and I can't vote! So here I am applying for being part of the voting crew again! :)

Name:
gidgets

When did you join N@W?:
I got into it from Arco before Season 2 started. We (Arco, Vandroid, Zedarius) all applied at the same time.

The ramp up to the new season has me re-addicted to Minecraft yet again. (I'm dreaming Minecraft again.) I want to remain excited about the server and the new season, which involves being highly selective of the people we let onto the server. I became aggravated and highly disinterested when a surge of people were admitted and griefing started occurring partway through Season 2. Nations at War is a server that is run by creativity and collaboration. We need to work with these people and guide each other through the creative process of creating the most amazing server. It is my desire that the server has dedicated, passionate, respectful, and creative people. I want to be able to read applications thoroughly to investigate if they are mature enough to respect the spirit of the rules. Being on the voting council, in my belief, will make the process of allowing people in selective. I really love this idea of the voting council, as long as the process of selecting the voting council is a highly selective process as well. This will keep Nations At War a prestigious and gorgeous server I can continue being proud to be a part of.

As mentioned above, I believe they need to be mature enough to respect the spirit of the rules, NO GRIEFING mindset, dedicated to the prestigiousness of Nations at War, passionate about the design and gameplay of the server, respectful of the rules and other people's wishes/feelings, and most of all, creativity. If the person lacks creativity, they should make up for it with dedication and passion. Some people are more than willing to chug away and do the manual labor, which makes up for any lack of creativity as long as they respect and admire the vision that the more creative people want to achieve.

To emphasize and summarize, I am just looking for mature, respectful, intelligent, and dedicated people that will help keep Nations at War a prestigious server I am proud to be a part of.

I was just checking out all the applicants, which is what led me here. So yes, I am totally prepared.
Wailing Sands Trading Co. in the wondrous city of Tajara
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
gidgets
Workman of Garrodum

Postby Brotano » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:58 am

Name:
Brotano

When did you join N@W?:
July 7th, 2011. During the Season 2 Beta.

I would like to have a say in who gets onto the server. At first, I never thought I would want the resposibility of having to vote on every application, but after seeing a lot of the recent applications I thought I would put my name in here for my opportunity to vote.

Maturity and decent building abilities, for starters. Creativity is a big part of the success of our server/the nations in the server and if a person can't contribute to that, I don't think they belong on the server. A good sense of morality would be necessary as well, as lately we've seen an increase of bad behavior/decisions from certain community members regarding skirting the rules.

Yes, of course if I'm accepted I will vote on every application I see.
Last edited by Brotano on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
year ago i could of nare you guys working> - Drunk B_C
Brotano
Stargazer of Astracarn

In Game: Brotano

Postby ArguableLobster » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:59 am

Name:
ArguableLobster

When did you join N@W?:
Season 2 Beta

There have been alot of people sneaking through with near 50% 50% splits. Several of these people have already been banned for derpness. I would like to help increase the voting population to better vet the applicants.

Maturity and lack of derp. Somebody who is easy to get along with, and enjoyable to be around. Skilled builders are particularly sought after in my mind as long as they meet the above. NAW is to be a pretty place.

Mostly yes.
"I love anal sticks"-B.C
ArguableLobster
Stargazer of Astracarn

In Game: arguablelobster

Postby Zpade » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:28 pm

Name:
Zpade
When did you join N@W?:
I joined the 3rd of January of this year; I officially joined on the 27th of June.

I cannot simply look at app's any longer; I feel the need to have that Yes and No button for the best of N@W's interests. Bad app's will not pass; I will not allow marginal entries mercy.

A good applicant needs to demonstrate initiative in joining N@W through proper grammatical etiquette(or an attempt at it), explanation in thought, and, overall, a level of their "awesomeness" to ensure they are fun to work and, time to time, goof off with.
My odyssey begins; Yes, I am prepared to do so.
Nope! Chuck Testa!
Zpade
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: Zpade

Previous

Return to General Discussion