Voting Council Application: Post Here

General discussion related to N@W. Questions, concerns, comments - this is your place.

Moderator: Lunysgwen

Re: Voting Council Application: Post Here

Postby Maunoir » Fri May 11, 2012 9:09 am

Name:
Maunoir

When did you join N@W?:
In June 2011.

Why do you want to be on the Voting Council?:
Because I want to participate more, in my way (I'm more of a lurker than a real forumer), to this server's life, and therefore I want to help the growth of this awesome community.

What qualities do you believe make a good applicant for N@W? Be as general or as specific as you like.:
Maturity and dedication. Grammar comes in third position. I also have the habit of reading old posts of already registered applicants.

Are you prepared to vote on every single application posted?:
I already did, so yes !
Maunoir
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: Maunoir
Time Cloaked: Choice Pending

Postby DreXav » Sat May 12, 2012 12:58 am

Name:
DreXav

When did you join N@W?:
App was posted at Jan 18, 2012, I've been whitelisted about two days later.

I wasn't thrilled with the old voting system and how it functioned, you can read about my main issues with it here - which is why I am very enthusiastic for this voting council solution, I believe it's a step in the right direction.
I can appreciate how crucial recruitment is for community's life and success which is why I am applying in spirit of "If you want a job done well, do it yourself" maxim, even if it is not my favorite one ; ]

What qualities do you believe make a good applicant for N@W? Be as general or as specific as you like.:
After seeing some (many) of the apps that got accepted, it's struck me that many voters forgot they are recruiting hopefully long-term members for the community rather than server-slot fillers (short-lived ones, at that) for sake of just filling the server, which is why I put extra emphasis on communication, dedication and certain level of maturity as core qualities of good N@W applicant:

Communication: this is a community, one plays and interacts with other players. Good level of English and it's grammar is absolutely mandatory. You might be a great person, a fantastic builder and PvPer but if people either can't understand your gibberish or you can't be bothered to chat at all, you just make people feel awkward and show that you do not mesh with the community. Showing up on IRC and hanging around with peeps is something that should be expected of a serious applicant.

Dedication: hyped-up kids who jump at anything that's cool just to leave after day or two are wasted time and effort for everyone. I pay extra attention to anything in the app and convos that may hint about applicant's dedication or short-lived interest.

Certain level of maturity: "maturity" is a broad and complex term but signs of arrogance, penchant for tantrums and excessive trolling are most undesirable, closely followed by fragile egos that can't handle reality and other people (this is not singe-player, chaps) - those traits make it difficult for the individual to fit into the community and cause unnecessary waves. Willingness to listen and learn is a trait that scores high with me and I believe is something every N@W applicant should have.

Everything else is case-to-case for me, with things like building or RPing skills being of tertiary importance at best as you can pick them up much more easily than you can change your character.
EDIT: ability to READ PROPERLY is mandatory ;D

Indeed, none shall be spared.
DreXav
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: DreXav
Time Cloaked: Unwilling

Postby B_C » Mon May 14, 2012 6:39 am

Name:
B_C

When did you join N@W?:
Season 2 Beta

I want to be part of the voting council because I do not trust anyone else to make the appropriate decision on whom we should allow onto our server. I joined n@w to be a part of a mature community. The integrity of the community that I desired to join has been lost over the past season; I wish to keep it from deteriorating any further. My opinion on how applications were handled last season are well known… a spot on the council would make who gets onto the server my responsibility, I would have no one to chew out but myself if some immature idiot miraculously becomes whitelisted. Taking that further, I understand completely what makes a good community member. I doubt I would ever let said immature idiots slide past me.

A good applicant is someone who can display in text, via the internet, that they are mature and capable of keeping their shit together. It is not an easy task, but I do not believe the server is for anyone who can throw together an application because they want to play on the server that they saw from the cool youtube video.
An applicant must want to be a part of the community, even if they sit back and lurk more than post on the forums. Activity and contributing positive information towards the discussions at hand are important from a potential community member. For the lurker, an applicant must show that they have been reading and keeping up with current events and server mechanics.

As I have previously said, I joined this server to be part of a mature community. I will not lie in this application, I WILL be prejudiced against people under 16, and they will have to try harder in their applications to get a yes vote from me. That being said, I have yes voted kids under the age of 16 many times last season… it takes a very good application to do it though.

After reading all that someone puts into an application the final part of the voting process comes down to having a feeling about someone. I will take the time in on every application that I read and make sure that the application is solid, they seem mature and capable, and they just feel like they will be a good fit into our community.

I have more things that I look for but I am sick of writing out reasons. The admin team can talk to me directly if they want to know more. Yall know where to find me.

Yes, but no. There will be hundreds of applications posted in the first few days applications are opened. I will try to vote on as many as I can, but I will not sacrifice all of what little free time I have off of work and school to read through every application in that first week. Over time I will get through them all, but it will be at my own rather expedient pace. A quality applicant will wait for this, an immature applicant will grow impatient and run off to whatever else kids these days do. I believe it would work better for the application process to make them wait an indefinite amount of time. See who stays to be a contributing part of the community and who runs off to play other video games and get high for the first time.
B_C: Have you done it with your sister?
Buttkittens: No, but I have done it with my mom.
B_C
Stargazer of Astracarn

In Game: B_C

Postby Electronics » Mon May 14, 2012 5:37 pm

Name:
Electronics

When did you join N@W?:
During the period between season 1 and 2.

I saw the thread about the voting council and have been interested on voting before. I would like to help out N@W by helping to keep its high standards of building and roleplaying. One of the reasons I joined N@W was because of the application system - it would not let in anyone who did not have the desire to play nicely.

A player needs to be mature, not overly such but enough to make them not go around being a dick to everyone else. They should express some elements of being able to or wanting to roleplay and should also be looking to help out the community, and not hinder it. I tend to find bad grammar or spelling show a lack of motivation and tend to dissuade me against the application. Age is not much of a deciding factor but I expect to see that they show dedication and can communicate well.

Definatley.
Electronics
Workman of Garrodum

In Game: Electronics

Postby Feldherren » Tue May 15, 2012 4:01 pm

Name:
Feldherren (Rebecca)

When did you join N@W?:
I joined the forums back on June 26th 2011. It was either that weekend or the weekend afterwards that I joined properly, following the voting period on my application and, uh, bribing my way to a quick resolution by helping out with a bit of PHP.
(Unintentional, I swear. The bribery bit. Someone just asked for PHP help and I knew PHP, so...)

Well, I said I would, back when this idea was put to the vote. I'm not entirely sure, beyond that; an urge to help out however I can?

Do you mean a good writer of applications, or a good potential member of the community?

Seeing as 'a good writer of applications' just needs to be able to pick up on what people want and the ability to lie convincingly in text, I'm guessing the latter.

In terms of being an applicant, the obvious first thing is being able to write and read English to a given level of fluency. This is usually pretty-easily tested for, with the application itself. The common language of the community is English, and not having a given level of competency means any given applicant will have issues when communicating with the bulk of the population, whether listening to them or trying to talk to them; being on either end of a 'conversation' like that is irritating.
But beyond that - and included in that, and including that - an applicant should hopefully be at least somewhat mature; able to accept gracefully that they and their team lost, or won, for example, or if not realise they're being unreasonably irritating to another member of the community, be willing to amend whatever behaviour is annoying people unreasonably when told it's bothersome. Being willing to let reasonable things go. Realising that answering questions properly shows you care about about joining the community.
Things like 'building skill' or 'PvP skill' are just ways of saying 'I can contribute in this way'. A willingness to contribute is important, but playing in the community without spoiling anyone else's experience unfairly is also a kind of contribution.

I guess everything keeps returning to 'you must seem at least THIS mature', to me.

If I am able to, yes. It's rare but sometimes the Internet connection just breaks entirely for extended periods of time, or power cuts happen, or my voting privileges spontaneously evaporate somehow, or every once in a blue moon I go on holiday away from my computer, in which case I'd be less able to vote - depending on how quickly you want apps evaluated - but if I can? Yes.
<almiteycow> feld go stand next to this wall!
<almiteycow> feld lay down on this road!
<Feldherren> Someone two metres tall is 1.3 felds.
<almiteycow> oh lord
<almiteycow> my brain is breaking
Feldherren
Emp's Little Proof Reader

In Game: Feldherren

Postby marsglorious » Sat May 19, 2012 3:46 pm

Name:
marsglorious

When did you join N@W?:
June 2011, just before S2

To help maintain and improve the quality of players and construction that brought me to this server in the first place. I've been annoyed in the past by applications being judged too harshly on small grammatical/spelling mistakes rather than the applicant's portrayed attitudes, skill at Minecraft or maturity and I'd like to help resolve this, give each applicant "A fair go", so to speak. I'd like to expand this server's community and push this server to greater heights, keeping it a top notch server as the general standard of Minecraft continues to go up.
Furthermore, I care a lot about what happens to my nation and I don't want my comrade's game experience being ruined by trolls and griefers.

Having effectively brought my entire Minecraft community (prior to joining N@W) to this server, I've seen first hand how someone's application can relate to their personality and attitudes. I've seen applicants rejected then later accepted prove to be important contributors and others who have been accepted, log-in once or twice and never come back again.

I feel that players need show a strong interest and knowledge of Nations@War and should demonstrate that they possess skills that would contribute this server, eg. capable of building at the standard set by the server, a good miner or a cunning warrior.

Indeed, every one I can.
Last edited by marsglorious on Sun May 20, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"<marsglorious> I do occasionally quote myself."
marsglorious
Workman of Garrodum

Postby ButtKittens » Sat May 19, 2012 6:22 pm

Name:
Buttkittens

When did you join N@W?:
Season 1, Day 1

Tl;dr Stupid people getting on the server. Being a veteran, I dont like it.

The stupidity that I have come across on this server was phenomenal. I came to this community looking for the people like those on the Underdark or the Penny Arcade SE++ server; which coincidentally is where about 85% of our original veterans came from, including myself. When Season 1 started it was great. This server was the best and everyone acted like mature individuals even if you got butt-hurt every-once in a while, at least it was gone in a few hours. Then suddenly assholes started showing up and generally lowered the integrity, quality, and value of this server. I need this server to get back to where it was, and this is the most impactful position I can have while doing so.

Apart from popular speculation, I actually want good people on the server, that aren't JUST pvp'ers that I can murder their face in.

I would like honesty people that will own up for their mistakes. If someone outright lies in their application there is no way in hell I would let them in. Honesty is a large part of my life. I was raised in the belief that if you make a mistake and own up to it, the consequences won't be as bad than getting caught later.
I need someone who has a mature level that is above a small child. The quality of people that have outright walked desperately under this bar is phenomenal and this needs to stop now.
An IQ level that is higher than that of a regular teenager.
They need to be patient, applicants need to realize that these things take a long time.

Level-Headed, and Common-Sense. These are two biggies. There isn't going to be a whiny brat, complaining about not getting into the server or someone who was just killed running around on the beta server complainging about PVP, no way and no how. If you were just killed you need to remember "Oh hey, it's just a game. I need to calm down a bit and just step out a little". There can't be another rage quitting fiesta that was part of season 2.

Gladly, although around August-November, and February-May of next year my voting wont be as frequent due to school sports. I will do the best I possibly can, and everything within my power to go through the applications, as they come in.
<Emp>: I don't need to be any more signatures

I want to ride you. No Homo. -ArguableLobster

"Or you can go to an elementary school and punch a kid in the face" - Zehbrahs

ButtKittens
Stargazer of Astracarn

Timezone: Clawin up your butt
In Game: buttkittens

Postby Raidonrai » Sun May 20, 2012 7:44 am

Name:
Raidonrai

When did you join N@W?:
I first found out about N@W after seeing one of the various videos on youtube during season 1. After surfing through Ein's channel, I decided to look for a way to join this server. Finding out that applications were closed was a real disappointment, so I simply left to go play on other servers.

A few days later I saw a post on Reddit about a stress test for the server, I believe I participated in that but, once again, I didn't follow up with an application, not sure why I didn't this time.

Then after a few weeks of general minecraft on Fuzz's server, 1.8 came out. This update completely fucked that server, and it never really made a proper come back, so I made a post on Reddit asking if there was anyone that was willing to refer me to N@W, remembering the server from a while back. I got a few replies, but nothing actually useful.

Then in late October 2011, I got a message from Fiskav, saying that applications were open again and that I should go check it out. And here I am, still checking it out.

When I first found out about N@W, I was gutted when I discovered that applications weren't being accepted and that there was no planned date for them to be open again. This was a real gut blower for me, and I only wonder how many other people have been steered away simply because applications were closed. I understand that applications, from now on, are going to remain open for an indefinite amount of time, but if there aren't enough voters then you've still got the same problem of applications not going through.

I'm arguably the most active person of N@W, I am constantly on IRC and constantly logged in to the forums. Chances are, if someone has gone through the effort of getting on to IRC to speak to people I'll be one of the few taking note of them. Most days I have nothing to do, so this would certainly give me something to fill my day up with.

I'm filling in my application relatively late compared to the other applicants, so there's not much more I can say.

First and foremost, the applicant must show that they have at least some sense of humour. If they fail to "get" the most basic of jokes or sarcastic comments, then speaking to them can get very dull very quickly.

A willingness to become an active member of the community is a good thing too, although this is a hard thing to portray just through an application. If I've seen/spoken to them on IRC then that alone shows that they're willing to get to know the community more than most.

An obvious point is the matter of language. If you, as an applicant, can barely be understood, then you do not belong here. Likewise, if you're going to use 1337 speak, then holding a conversation with you is going to get annoying; very annoying.

Another thing is accepting that you've lost. If someone beats you in a fight, don't just go back and grief their shit. If someone captures you, don't just freak out and start swearing.

While pictures may be nice, they're far from necessary.

More than willing to vote on every one of them, got nothing better to do.
Barbarian #moo says: alcarnus is weak
Raidonrai

In Game: Raidonrai

Postby Alcarnus » Sun May 20, 2012 4:34 pm

Name:
Alcarnus

When did you join N@W?:
Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:54 pm (Though I was lurking the forums well before I was accepted)

Many of you probably know the story of how I got into N@W. Well, applications were closed, and this killed me a little inside. However, being an avid Nexus forums lurker, I saw a post by Yoshio. He was willing to refer anyone with a good enough application to the server. I am guessing this was during one of those times where things were simply too quiet. Upon stumbling into that thread of his, I took advantage of it and quickly talked to him about N@W for the better part of a week.

When we were done discussing the situation, I went ahead and sent him my application. I was accepted within exactly four days, minus one minute. I am somewhat of an impatient fellow, a few of you may know by now. I thought that the process could have gone maybe slightly faster, seeing how there are dozens upon dozens of voters around.

I have a habit of wanting to know just about everything there is to know. I want to know the history of things that will become a part of me, in a way. Well, I did exactly just that. Yes, I am also somewhat nosy. Anyways, I did some tremendous lurking during the wait for acceptance. I found applicants that had to wait days, weeks, and in some extreme cases, months. I was mortified upon finding this out. Boy, am I glad I only had to wait four days!

Now, I believe I am a mature and responsible enough individual to be handed this task. Well, I troll and fool around when the situation allows for a little fun, but mostly, I can handle myself with enough grace to be handed this great responsibility and honor. When given great tasks, I can and will accomplish what was handed to me. I will take the job very seriously. I will help come up with a system, a code of conduct, and a system to dissect applicants apart to differentiate them from the average moron. The days of fools slipping into our community will be no more. Many of the past applicants astound me. How they got accepted is beyond me.

Another thing to mention is that, some of these voters have a rather horrible voting system, if any at all. I've seen too many applicants get accepted simply because they have paragraphs and pictures. We will need a better system, one that every council member follows, to the letter. I want to help create an absolutely unbiased group of individuals that can accept people for who they are, not for who they project themselves to be.

As a last note, totally off topic, well not totally. Anyways, I simply want to say a little something. Many of you think I am the typical PvP troll. A few of you even despise me, what for I will never know. My age? Certainly not since I am well over the age of 16. As aforementioned, I will take the job very seriously. When given responsibilities and tasks where the balance of the community depends sole on my actions, my mindset will change. I've some banning history with the admins, but I believe we have settled that. I've had very little chance to show who I really am, and very few people have had the chance to see the real me. This community has given a lot to me. I like this gang of lovely boys and girls we have here. I want to help ensure that only the best of the best get it. I want to help ensure that only the strongest and brightest minds get in. I want to help forge an absolutely perfect community for future seasons that are to come. I simply ask that you set all those little disturbances in my personality and give me the chance to show the other side of my moon. I will take set aside the fun and games when you give me the pistol.

As I've stated in the above section, I've seen many applicants get accepted for no other reason than having nice pictures and an appealing smile. I propose a completely new way of doing things. I hope we all come to see the advantage of having long-term, elitist, quality members of this community. As that is what I believe makes for a wonderful gang of individuals.

Pictures/Builds: 1
I do not like this at all, what with the voting on applicants simply due to their building skills. It is nice to have great builders, but we have some elitist architects already in our ranks. In my opinion, this shouldn't be a major deciding factor to acceptance, if at all. Learning is not that hard, especially if one is surrounded by skilled teachers. This applies to me, as I was fortunate to be around a great teacher and mentor. Being able to build nice things is more of a luxury than a necessity, at least I believe it is. Are we not a PvP/RP server after all?

Maturity/Personality: 3
An applicant must be mature. Must. Players who whine about PvP and the likes are a no-go. Members who excessively troll are not welcomed, as it simply aggravates existing members. It may be fun at times, even allowed, but some people take it too far. One must be able to stop themselves from doing something overly moronic. If they are willing to learn from the best, and accept helpful criticism, then they are one of those people with very high potential, in my book at least.

Applicants must have a sense of humor as well. Mindless automatons are not fun to be around. Unless they are extremely skilled in some area, they will not be very fun to be around. A sense of humor is a must-have. After all, this is a community, and we will most likely be around each other for a months, perhaps even years. Mature, funny, intelligent and creative minds make for a fun experience. Also, shyness is silly. What I mean to say is that, we are a community, and most likely will spend a large amount of time together. Don't be shy, express yourself and get in on the discussions are such. Get involved.

Communication: 2
As Arco once mentioned a long long time ago, this is a game played largely via text. If you can not, for whatever insane reason, communicate via text, then we will most likely not want you. An appropriate degree of grammar and usage of the English language is a must. Inability or failure to use the language correctly will lead to many unwanted problems. I want members that can communicate with grace and speed, not idiots who fill my screen with 1's and 0's.

Another thing to note is the ability of use Mumble. Mumble is a great and wonderful way to get rid of the bothersome need to type everything you need to say to your fellow man. Imagine you are preparing for battle, and you have to stop every thirty seconds to spend thirty seconds typing battle plans. Now, imagine simply voicing your thoughts, questions, plans, and more within ten seconds, and not having to stop and expose yourself to unnecessary danger. Mumble is a very effective means of communication, applicants must be willing to utilize it. It is advantageous for more than just wars, keep that in mind. Many of the great battles and architectural wonders are thanks to precise coordination and effective usage of Mumble.

Reason(s) for joining N@W/Effect on community: 3
This is a big one. I've not yet had the privilege to vote on applications, but I've most definitely put in my thoughts and such in quite a few of them. I believe a section dedicated to this is great. Applicants must be able to tell us why they want to be a part of this community, what makes them worthy to join such a wonderful crew, and what they can bring to the table. In this case, I believe length really does matter. It is impossible to come up with less than a paragraph here. Around a paragraph or more would effectively express your worthiness. Less would not, at least I can't imagine how it will.

PvP/RP enthusiast: 1
If they fit into one, or both, of these two categories, we should want them. Having more of these type of players is a good thing, as it fits our server's theme perfectly. To add to that, it will definitely make for a better gaming experience for existing members. I am not saying that applicants must do only the two listed, rather that if they do, it will be a bonus. If they PvP and RP, and build really nice things, then that should score very high. If they fit in with our server theme, bonus!
Yes, I most certainly am more than prepared. None shall slip through my iron fist, my watchful eyes, etc. In the six or so months that I've been here, I believe I am one of the most active members within this community. I am on the forums everyday, on the IRC every night and most days, and I am in-game almost everyday that I am not preoccupied with IRL matters. I watch over everything that moves, and I will see every new post made. One could go so far as to call me a hawk, ever watchful, ever vigilante. You will have votes within the hour, unless I am sleeping, obviously. Even then, you will have my vote as soon as I awaken from my slumber.
Terminal Shitbag
Alcarnus
Stargazer of Astracarn

Timezone: EST
In Game: Alcarnus

Postby Cyster » Sun May 20, 2012 5:39 pm

Be advised that if you are accepted onto the voting council you will not be establishing a system for all voters to follow. We're picking you individually based on how you'll vote. Different people will want to see different things, and that's fine, provided those things are along the lines of what we consider to be a good N@W applicant.
<Emp> my fist will meet your face
<Emp> your nipples will feed the starving
Cyster

Timezone: PST
In Game: Cyster

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion