Voting Council Application: Post Here

General discussion related to N@W. Questions, concerns, comments - this is your place.

Moderator: Lunysgwen

Voting Council Application: Post Here

Postby Cyster » Tue May 08, 2012 12:49 am

All right, ladies and gentlemen, the time has come to apply for the....

VOTING COUNCIL.

We are looking for members of the N@W community who are willing to step up and help it grow in the ways we all feel healthiest. When this is enacted, only people on the Voting Council, as well as admins, can weigh in on applications. If you want to be part of shaping this community, read on!

Here's what the voting council will require of you:

1) Vote on every application. Yes, every last one. There is no more editing of apps, so you don't need to hold your vote. What you see is what you get. This shouldn't take you much time provided you stop by the forum and take five minutes out of every other day or so to weigh in. If you're ambivalent, go with your gut.

2) Vote in the best interests of N@W. If you're applying for this, we hope you understand what N@W represents and the sorts of things everyone likes to see in new people. We want this community to continue to be awesome as it grows, and that responsibility will be on your shoulders.

3) Be as objective as you can. I hesitate to say "be unbiased," because we all have our biases. But consider the person on the whole. Don't automatically vote no because of age or country. Weigh each application with an objective criteria. Remember that N@W is not JUST a build server or a pvp server. Having no build pictures does not necessarily mean the person won't be fantastic.

Understand that sometimes admins may override the way the vote goes, but it will be in rare situations, and normally because information has come to light peripherally that would change their candidacy.

If, after reading this through, you determine that the council is right for you, please fill out the following template and reply to this thread with it (and yes, you can change the text color as long as it's not blinding. Making it blinding will make me reject your app):

Code: Select all
[color=#DB692C][size=150][u][b]Name[/b]:[/u][/size][/color]
(Your answer here)

[color=#DB692C][size=150][u][b]When did you join N@W?[/b]:[/u][/size][/color]
(Your answer here)

[color=#DB692C][size=150][u][b]Why do you want to be on the Voting Council?[/b]:[/u][/size][/color]
(Your answer here)

[color=#DB692C][size=150][u][b]What qualities do you believe make a good applicant for N@W?  Be as general or as specific as you like.[/b]:[/u][/size][/color]
(Your answer here)

[color=#DB692C][size=150][u][b]Are you prepared to vote on every single application posted?[/b]:[/u][/size][/color]
(Your answer here)

We'll review your apps and contact you individually. Please take a second and think about whether or not you want to dedicate yourself to this -- ideally, what we'll end up with is a solid core of people who help make our server even better. Don't feel bad if we don't pick you for now. We're being pretty discerning and careful about this at first, but you never know if the situation might change. :)

Please try to keep questions about the voting council to a minimum in this thread -- I'd like to keep it as neat as possible.

EDIT: I can't believe I have to say this, but if it's apparent to me that you didn't read the simple questions, your application is going to be rejected. If you people are applying to vote on applications I would hope that you'd read through something before making a call. :v:
<Emp> my fist will meet your face
<Emp> your nipples will feed the starving
Cyster

Timezone: PST
In Game: Cyster
Time Cloaked: Choice Pending

Re: Voting Council Application: Post Here

Postby Joehonsen » Tue May 08, 2012 2:42 am

Name:
acertop

When did you join N@W?:
Mar 14, 2011 (middle of S1).

Why do you want to be on the Voting Council?:
I don't want people like blackopsuck to be able to join the server and ruin the experience for everybody. I just want people that is able to play with others well and not complain about what we do or how this server works.

What qualities do you believe make a good applicant for N@W? Be as general or as specific as you like.:
I am able to guess very well if a person would ruin N@W or make it a better server to play in. I used to be one of those whiney kids so I know what they act like (I am not one of those people anymore).

Are you prepared to vote on every single application posted?:
I am prepared to vote on every application.
Formally known as the great Acertop!
Joehonsen
Tribesman of the Mavi

Timezone: US Central Time
In Game: acertop

Postby dRuNk HiPpi » Tue May 08, 2012 3:23 am

Name:
dRuNk HiPpi

When did you join N@W?:
Joined the forums on March 9th, 2011.
Officially joined the in-game server on March 10th, I believe.

This question is tricky. Why would anyone want to subject themselves to the torture of reading hundreds upon hundreds of applications and making repetitive decisions? I believe the simple answer is because I want to contribute to this server in any way possible. This community has kept me engaged for over a year with fun experiences, competitive gaming, and even some very heated debates. I've seen people come and go, and have observed which personalities the community reacts both positively and negatively towards, so I think I have a general idea as to who will be able to meet this community's wants, and who won't.

What qualities do you believe make a good applicant for N@W? Be as general or as specific as you like.:
No one is perfect, and it's important to think that way when voting on apps. Anyone can flaunt their greatest accomplishments and boast on and on with walls of elaborate words, but in the end, I look for personality. Anyone who can endure the scrutiny of this community without throwing a temper tantrum, learn from their mistakes, and think before they speak/act is a good applicant.

Sadly, and to my own demise, yes.
Former Member of Earth Nation
Former Fearless Leader of The Wall
Current Member of Team Murderface

almiteycow:"Fuck you, you're on my server now!"
[2:45:16 AM] almiteycow disconnected.
dRuNk HiPpi
Tribesman of the Mavi

Timezone: GMT -5:00
USA EST
In Game: dRuNk_HiPpi

Postby gigyas6 » Tue May 08, 2012 3:50 am

Name:
gigyas6

When did you join N@W?:
Late June - Early July 2011; Season 2 Beta and start

I am not a particularly good artist, nor am I really good at building, and do not have the diligence to write or program. I've wanted to give back to Nations at War for a long time now, and without the aforementioned skills, it causes an inability which frustrates me. This is a way that I can give back to all the players I've encountered, all the forums folks I've talked to, and to all the admins I've annoyed.
I also want to give someone as smooth and friendly an introduction as I was given.

I have a lot of time on my hands and when I'm not doing anything... Well, I pretty much open up this page and look at some of the new stuff that comes up. Having this time will allow me to accurately judge various applicants. I have been a bit more cynical recently, but I believe that my naive and trusting personality mixed with this will properly size up most folks applying.
I also tend to check the Minecraft Forums to get the "word on the street", as it were, on applying players.
Huh... Thinking about it it may not be a bad idea to have a reference section of the application process, like on a resume. But, that is a conversation for a different time.

If I wasn't sure before, I definitely am now.
ggnaw.mcnode.net N@W Community server
gigyas6
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: gigyas6

Postby charmisokay » Tue May 08, 2012 4:58 am

Name:
Charmisokay :P

When did you join N@W?:
I joined N@W almost a year ago, with the 2nd wave of open applications in S2.
This was somewhere close to the end of September.

I would like to join the council because I have always wanted to help out as much as possible. I think the old voting system was chaotic since so many anonymous people could vote - but the new system would also be flawed if too few voters existed, therefore I jump in to assist in the success of the new voting council and therefore I jump in to secure the nations at war community's standards.

To me the person must have somewhere around readable grammar because he has to be able to interact with the community as a whole.
I also think the person needs to show a grain of maturity, unaffected by age. ( I would rather play with a mature 8 year old than an immature 4o year old )
One of the most important things though is that he have understood the questions and followed them clearly, and that he shows that he has used more than 2 minutes on his application.

Charm is ready to serve....
To be honest and serious; if nothing personal comes up to prevent me from voting, I plan on doing so the day the applications come out, or a day or two later.
Last edited by charmisokay on Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud citizen of The Hammersong Empire.
Blood lord of Hammerseat.
-
The puncher of wolves.
The accelerator of things.
charmisokay
Tribesman of the Mavi

Time Cloaked: Willing

Postby Ragandar » Tue May 08, 2012 3:13 pm

Name:
Ragandar
When did you join N@W?:
I joined the forums on the 5th of August, last year. I joined the actual community with the September application wave, also last year.

To quote Hippi and Gigyas here, N@W has given me a lot, this is one of the things I can do to give something back to the community.

I would certainly expect decent grammar. Furthermore, the application has to give the impression that the applicant has put a decent amount of time in his app. Also, if I'd sense a clear desire to interact with, and become part of, the community, that would be a positive thing as well. (You have those people that disappear again after a week, because they're bored. That's not something we want, in my opinion.)

Most definitely, I already voted on pretty much all of the applications from the moment I attained voting rights until the end of S2. (I missed a few, I think)
F*ck Hell, I will go to Walhalla Sovngarde. \m/
Season 2:
Council member of The Teutonic Order.
Magma Hand of Hammerseat.

Season 2.5:

Tribesman of the Mavi.
Voting Council member.

Season 3:
Ragandar
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: Ragandar

Postby JammyThunder » Tue May 08, 2012 5:47 pm

Name:
JammyThunder

When did you join N@W?:
Midway through October 2011

I feel like I've gotten a lot from N@W but I don't feel like I've had the chance to give something significant back yet. I'm hoping this will give me the chance.

This is a very unique server. Applicants need to understand that, and they need to know what they're applying to. What I'm saying is that applicants must understand that this is not just a PvP server. This server is tailored for a very exclusive RP/PvP oriented experience. That being true, its important to make sure we have a like minded community who are prepared to contribute to the server. I'm not saying we need to be elitist. I know I've changed since joining the server, in a positive way I would think. I think its important that each applicant be given proper screening before acceptance. A large part of the learning experience on the server is through playing. Getting into the RP side of things takes time, and even if they don't appear to be the best builder or fighter from their app its the potential that the Council should be looking for. As well as the applicant not being a dick.

Absolutely.
"I stopped reading anything they said ages ago. I just like to look at the pretty avatar pictures of pineapples." -DancingWalrus

"Jammy...your awesome." -The_Designer
JammyThunder
Workman of Garrodum

In Game: JammyThunder

Postby _myst_ » Tue May 08, 2012 7:22 pm

Name:

Jlpaugh121 (Jeremy )

When did you join N@W?:

I joined in January of 2012, towards the end of Season 2

I want to be on the Voting Council because I like being the one to set the standard, and I want to make N@W the best that it can possibly be. I think that I can do a lot of good for our community as a whole, despite the fact that I've only been on for less than a year.

I think that a good candidate for N@W is one who possesses a willingness to learn. Becoming an amazing builder is something that can be at least partially taught, pvp also. What is instinctual however, is how much a person is willing to submit to learn. One of the server rules, DON'T BE A DICK goes hand in hand with this. if people are not willing to submit to authority, then they should not be allowed onto this server. However, it's always nice if a person has at least some sense of building style, but these people are usually refined by the open-build contests anyway.

Another EXTREMELY important factor to look for when choosing from applicants is their maturity, as this is often the difference between an amazing player and some troller.

Yes, yes I am. In order to help get a feel for this position, (and just for fun) , I have been going through all the applications in the forums, and I have a good idea about what to expect.
Last edited by _myst_ on Wed May 09, 2012 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Season 2: Wanderer of Necropolis
Season 2.1: Frostmore Resident
Nations test: Stargazer of Astracarn
Dewcraft: Campaign challenged
House Mithorian: Tree-Hugger
Massivecraft: Builder of Bunkers
Unofficial Season: Thain of Sylven
Now where is my Season 3?!?!?
_myst_
The bot formerly known as jlpaugh121

Timezone: Pacific Standard
In Game: jlpaugh121

Postby Fiskav » Tue May 08, 2012 9:10 pm

Name:
Fiskav

When did you join N@W?:
Early October 2011.

I saw the poll for the Voting Council that Cyster posted a couple of weeks ago, and it immediately took my interest. I would like to be given the opportunity to give back to N@W, by volunteering to help uphold its high standards, ultimately for the benefit of enhancing the community.

Whenever I read an application, I try to get a grasp of the player's maturity. N@W's community and playerbase is probably one of the best in Minecraft, and I'm not going to let that be tarnished by a couple of players - I'm looking at you, sjoerdtim. Normally, when the applicant applies, you get to understand a good sense of what they'll be doing once/if they get accepted, such as Builder, PvPer, Writer, etc. It's always good to find these qualities within applications, and then make sure that they all match up. For instance, if the person does not have any pictures of their builds, I won't vote no, because I understand that not everyone who wants to join N@W is an amazing builder.

The applicant must posses decent grammar and spelling abilities (if they're not a native English speaker I'll let this one slide), and come across as a mature individual who will be a positive addition to the community. Age is taken into account (I certainly wasn't too mature when I joined), but it isn't a deciding factor in the application.

Certainly.
Fiskav
Stargazer of Astracarn

Timezone: GMT +10
In Game: Fiskav

Postby writzbitz » Tue May 08, 2012 9:13 pm

Name:
Writzbitz

When did you join N@W?:
I joined n@w on day one of season one. I've played with some members on servers such as Underdark and Columbia (these were even before n@w)

I would like to be on the voting council because after over a year in the n@w community I believe I know what is and isn't accepted in our community. I've always been a very active member of the community and would be honored to help have a say in who can and can not join our grand server.
Applicants must show their dedication and interest in our community through their applications. Applications do no necessarily have to be long but they must be well written. They must show the community that they have a strong knowledge of minecraft or show that they have resources to find the answers to their questions. Applicants must be accepting of everyone in our community and treat members with respect. It is also nice if applicants have browsed ours forums and wiki before they apply and this must be evident in their applications. Pictures are always nice. These pictures do not have to be of amazing builds but must show some knowledge in minecraft and a nice blend of materials. Since this is a rp server applicants must also be willing to partake in the occasional YARGH or in character conversation and stick to their nation's true character.

I am most definitely prepared to vote on every application. I believe I have shown my dedication to this server considering I've been here since day 1. MAY YOUR SWORDS BE EVER SHARP! YARGHH!
"War makes rattling good history; but Peace is poor reading."

Season 1:
Fire Nation Maze Master
Season 2:
Council Member of Redstone Syndicate
Commodore Of Riptide Cartel
World Arena President
Season 2.75:
President of Ignus
writzbitz

Timezone: Central