*ADMIN ANNOUNCEMENT* Community Attitude and Practices

General discussion related to N@W. Questions, concerns, comments - this is your place.

Moderator: Lunysgwen

*ADMIN ANNOUNCEMENT* Community Attitude and Practices

Postby Sheez » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:44 pm

Hey there folks,

It's gotten to the point where, as your (usually) friendly admins, we need to address some of the concerns that are being bandied about by the community as well as our own observations. It's pretty clear that there are some people who, while having written an understanding of our ruleset fantastically well, seem to have some issues putting those rules in practice.

Don't be a dick extends to more than just in game. The people behind these usernames are people. They feel just like you do, they can get hurt. Over the internet it's considered gauche to show emotion or get attached to things, but that attitude stops here. Now. When you're calling someone out, taunting them, crowing about your victories, if you're not doing it in an RP sense you need to be aware of the consequences of those actions. And if you are consistently incapable of seeing those and continue to harass people, I am going to step in and show you them personally. We are a community here. We should act like one. If you are poisonous or toxic for the community at large, you're going to find yourself very swiftly removed from it. We're done playing nice with this, as its been shown that there are those of you willing to take advantage of that laxity and act like dicks instead of adults.

Since vague warnings are difficult for some of you, I've got some very basic guidelines for you to follow. These are still not comprehensive, but build off of them, use them as a general rubric for how to act.

1 – When you're about to gloat or taunt someone, make sure it's done in the proper forum in an RP sense. And do it reasonably well. If you make direct references to mechanics or other meta issues, it's pretty much not RP no matter how much you claim it is.

2 – If you feel like you're close enough with a group to generally bullshit with them, consider how you would feel if someone close to you said the same thing you're typing up right now. For those of you who are do this and constantly come up with “Well, I wouldn't give a flying fuck”, consider getting some therapy and stop posting anything relating to other people.

3 – We've had a small, but goddamn disturbing, rash of heartless comments. I'm tired of it. I don't give a fuck how much you dislike the person you're saying these things to, if your comments are acidic and cruel I am going to remove your ability to make those comments and play on this server.

4 – Learn how to separate your experiences in the game from your perception of the people you're playing with. It's a goddamn game, and if you cannot treat it as such, you will also rapidly find yourself not playing here. The poor sportsmanship that's been going on (whether winning or losing) needs to stop. You should all be old enough to have learned how to play games with other people, and I'm going to need you to start acting like it or my banhammer is going to get that well-used look pretty quickly here.

I expect that, largely, most of you do a fine job of these rules. All of you have quite a bit of leeway here, but inevitably someone takes this shit too far. I want you to act like adults. Or at least, be able to walk away from the game and treat each other like reasonable people. If that can't happen, well, you're gonna find somewhere else to play.
Former Water Nation Leadership Council
Former Empire of the Riven Moon Leader
Master of Beasts

"<Emp>: Grrr microtrannies."
Sheez

Time Cloaked: Choice Pending

Re: *ADMIN ANNOUNCEMENT* Community Attitude and Practices

Postby lobartolini » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:52 pm

If I liking posts was an option on this forum, you would have mine. A very much needed post, and a very swift solution to what seems to be a general problem on all servers. Cheers Sheez!
Yeah if a new guy makes a hole every single new people fall into them. Thats the way n@w works. -charminisokay
lobartolini
Workman of Garrodum

In Game: Lobster Martini

Postby DancingWalrus » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:22 pm

This really hit home and opened my eyes.
I realise alot of my forum activity seems to be a bit ridged and harsh.
From now on I'll pay close attention to what I say and if it will negatively affect the person I am talking to.

I hope others will try to do the same too.
DancingWalrus
Workman of Garrodum

In Game: DancingWalrus

Postby Empirical » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:19 am

Be sure you guys actually read the OP.
Professional Cat Herder

Cobble Baron

<Cyster> ... your specialty seems to be reading things without absorbing any of it. :P
Empirical
Presiding Server Overlord

Timezone: EST (GMT -5)
In Game: Empirical

Postby TheLion69er » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:48 am

Should this be stickied (or made an announcement) just for future easy reference?
Former Member of the Riptide Cartel
Current Member of Antares

The Official Diplomat for the Nation of Antares

Magma Hand of Hammerseat
Known as Fiskav on Bay12
TheLion69er

Postby Sheez » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:29 pm

You know what the problem is with stickies? People stop reading them. They skim over the first six topics in the forum and start looking for more active topics. This is a new topic, it's clear it's an announcement, so it ought to get attention.
Former Water Nation Leadership Council
Former Empire of the Riven Moon Leader
Master of Beasts

"<Emp>: Grrr microtrannies."
Sheez

Postby charmisokay » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:29 am

Sorry if I have been harsh to anyone at any time. I surely did not mean it, I dont like to hurt people.
Proud citizen of The Hammersong Empire.
Blood lord of Hammerseat.
-
The puncher of wolves.
The accelerator of things.
charmisokay
Tribesman of the Mavi

Time Cloaked: Willing

Postby Zappulon » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:21 am

Empirical started it by claiming Australians are only counted as half a person. As the Australian way is poke fun at yourself before anyone else gets a chance, I have to admit I was severely offended by not being given a chance to call myself half a person prior to his insult.
Zappulon
Workman of Garrodum

Timezone: Australia

Postby Empirical » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:33 am

Zappulon wrote:Empirical started it by claiming Australians are only counted as half a person. As the Australian way is poke fun at yourself before anyone else gets a chance, I have to admit I was severely offended by not being given a chance to call myself half a person prior to his insult.

If anyone is taking shots at aussies first, it's me! That said, good to see you again Zap. Hope you've been well.
Professional Cat Herder

Cobble Baron

<Cyster> ... your specialty seems to be reading things without absorbing any of it. :P
Empirical
Presiding Server Overlord

Timezone: EST (GMT -5)
In Game: Empirical

Postby Cyster » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:49 pm

UPDATE:

With applications open and more people coming in, we no longer have the time or patience to be lax with you. If your attitude falls short of what we expect from the members of this community as outlined in the rules and this post, we will take action. If you continue beyond our warning suspension, you may be banned.

If you're the sort of person who acts in a mature fashion, you have nothing to fear. We're reasonable people. But we're done with babysitting childish squabbles.
<Emp> my fist will meet your face
<Emp> your nipples will feed the starving
Cyster

Timezone: PST
In Game: Cyster

Return to General Discussion