War Plugin Brainstorming

General discussion related to N@W. Questions, concerns, comments - this is your place.

Moderator: Lunysgwen

War Plugin Brainstorming

Postby Sheez » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:04 pm

Hey there folks. We realize, as admins, that the war plugin is not..perfect. It is flawed in some ways. So I want to hear what you think the problems are. I also want to hear solutions for those, should they come to mind. We're working on an overhaul to get everything up to par and also congruent with the new update that will be coming out very soon, so any changes we can make now are going to be better off than those we make later.

So, have at. Give me ideas.
Former Water Nation Leadership Council
Former Empire of the Riven Moon Leader
Master of Beasts

"<Emp>: Grrr microtrannies."
Sheez

Time Cloaked: Choice Pending

Re: War Plugin Brainstorming

Postby BlackholeNW » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:10 pm

When you refer to the war plugin, do you only mean the section of the N@W mod relating to wars, or do you mean the mod as a whole. Furthermore, should we only suggest ideas to fix existing problems or can we suggest new features?
Slightly baffled co-founder of the Time-Cloaked Order. :'D

Darix Palkiren - Thane of Space.
Erfasin Fastoraanum - Pyromaniac.

You can't play in lava; it's no fun.
You can only die in lava.
BlackholeNW
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: BlackholeMC
Time Cloaked: Willing

Postby BrickWork » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:16 pm

Ability to create or use an existing battlefield, so the battles do not need to go on at an existing nation's land.
*** Looking for potential quotes to fill this space ***
BrickWork
Workman of Garrodum

In Game: BrickWork

Postby Sheez » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:18 pm

BlackholeNW wrote:When you refer to the war plugin, do you only mean the section of the N@W mod relating to wars, or do you mean the mod as a whole. Furthermore, should we only suggest ideas to fix existing problems or can we suggest new features?

All of the above.
Former Water Nation Leadership Council
Former Empire of the Riven Moon Leader
Master of Beasts

"<Emp>: Grrr microtrannies."
Sheez

Postby Raidonrai » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:21 pm

Well, we've been discussing this all day on IRC and we've come up with a few things.

A thing called "Skirmishes" should be possible, in this it would simply turn PvP between the two nations involved on in the defendants land. Block breaking and chest opening would still be disabled. The nation on the defending side would not get a choice to participate in these skirmishes but would get a warning and would have X amount of time to prepare themselves before PvP would be turned on.

Another thing we discussed was assassinations. Let's do a quick example of how sneak killing someone currently works. Raidonrai sneaks up behind Sn0wtorch like a total boss and kills him without sn0wtorch seeing him. Sn0wtorch reads "Raidonrai is a total badass and killed you." in chat and instantly knows it was me. What we propose is that if you do not see (Your crosshair does not hover over them) them within 30 seconds before them killing you, it will simply say "Someone is a total badass and killed you." This would allow for quick and anonymous kills on targets. A few coder bros in IRC said that this wouldn't be too hard to implement. Woooh!
Last edited by Raidonrai on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barbarian #moo says: alcarnus is weak
Raidonrai

In Game: Raidonrai

Postby BlackholeNW » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:22 pm

Ok :)

Let's see... what would I like to see changed about the mod...

I personally have had quite a few problems with the ranking system, so any modification to make it less... broken would be my ideal change. It would also be quite cool if you rank was displayed before your name when you speak (e.g. Lord Bloggs, King Purplefish). Would add a lot to the RP element if you could tell a persons rank just from chat. If you wanted to hide or go undercover it could perhaps be toggle-able.

That's pretty much it for changes to existing parts of the plugin, but if we were allowed to talk about what we would like to see in the future then I would suggest the incorporation of new, one-of-a-kind type items with special abilities, like relic armour pieces, ect. I know this would be very difficult to add, and is most likely not going to happen, but this is a brainstorm thread so what the heck :)

I would say that perhaps each nation could create a relic/relic set relating to its' own history, but I would imagine that would be unlikely.

And... that's about it, unless perhaps that players should be able to see more presence of magic in the world. It is that type of fantasy setting after all.

EDIT:

Also, I dislike the system whereby a nation can disable PvP on its' land. It is a PvP server after all, and it's not realistic if you can't attack particular people. Nations which have PvP disabled cannot even have war declared upon them, which would seem unfitting with the theme of the server (it is called 'Nations at War', after all). I didn't even know about any of this, which came as a surprise when my men found that their swords were utterly useless, even though the enemy still seemed to be able to attack us.
Last edited by BlackholeNW on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlackholeNW
Tribesman of the Mavi

Postby BrickWork » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:29 pm

Spawning with a wooden sword during war? Obviously after people die, they have to go through the process of creating another sword for battle. Also conquest mission everyday/week? Ie. a few temples could be created by each nation, than the area around the temple would become a conquest site. Each time a conquest mission starts, a nation would be given a choice, either to hold or attack another temple. These temples could provide improved log in bonuses, such as owning 2 temlpes is a 20 crown bonus when logging in.
*** Looking for potential quotes to fill this space ***
BrickWork
Workman of Garrodum

In Game: BrickWork

Postby turel777 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:29 pm

Raidonrai wrote:Well, we've been discussing this all day on IRC and we've come up with a few things.

A thing called "Skirmishes" should be possible, in this it would simply turn PvP between the two nations involved on in the defendants land. Block breaking and chest opening would still be disabled. The nation on the defending side would not get a choice to participate in these skirmishes but would get a warning and would have X amount of time to prepare themselves before PvP would be turned on.

Another thing we discussed was assassinations. Let's do a quick example of how sneak killing someone currently works. Raidonrai sneaks up behind Sn0wtorch like a total boss and kills him without sn0wtorch seeing him. Sn0wtorch reads "Raidonrai is a total badass and killed you." in chat and instantly knows it was me. What we propose is that if you do not see (Your crosshair does not hover over them) them within 30 seconds before them killing you, it will simply say "Someone is a total badass and killed you." This would allow for quick and anonymous kills on targets. A few coder bros in IRC said that this wouldn't be too hard to implement. Woooh!

As discussed earlier there's the possibility of people encassing themselves in dirt/cobble very quickly to avoid combat. Personally I think if the're going to get a warning then block placing should be disabled for the defending nation during this time. That or make blocks placed after the declaration destroyable (although I'd have to have a look through the API, I'd imagine that'd be far more work to do).
turel777
Tribesman of the Mavi

Postby charmisokay » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:30 pm

Blackhole: I think adding a title to a persons name could ruin rp in some ways: as in; sometimes you might not want someone to know who you are and the like.

Other ideas: I think it would be great if the rank system was fixed, and I dont know when or if npc's will be fixed, but I heard something about them having ridiculous prices - as in too low - which is bad.
Proud citizen of The Hammersong Empire.
Blood lord of Hammerseat.
-
The puncher of wolves.
The accelerator of things.
charmisokay
Tribesman of the Mavi

Postby BlackholeNW » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:33 pm

charmisokay wrote:Blackhole: I think adding a title to a persons name could ruin rp in some ways: as in; sometimes you might not want someone to know who you are and the like.

Perhaps it could be something that could be toggled, as sneak currently is.
Last edited by BlackholeNW on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlackholeNW
Tribesman of the Mavi

Next

Return to General Discussion