Pretty Picture

Discuss builds, game modes, maps, patches, and other fantastic things about the game we play here.

Moderators: Ragandar, Lunysgwen

Re: Pretty Picture

Postby Sinic5128 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:22 pm

charmisokay wrote:It was a totem of love.
Spoiler:
One sided love.

I'm sad we never finished our temple puzzle, though.

Oh yeah, we never did finish it, did we? We never really had any solid plans for it either. It was a fun side project, though.

OnT: Impressive builds! I'm a big fan of the cathedral-like building with the tower. I'm (impolitely) going to assume it's a work in progress based on what to me looks like outlines for the pillars and walls. If so, please do share the finished project if you get around to finishing it. :dance:
Sinic5128
Tribesman of the Mavi

Timezone: GMT+1
In Game: Sinic5128
Time Cloaked: Choice Pending

Postby wronsiski » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:12 pm

I've recently had some pretty pictures made of some of my builds:

Spoiler:

I realise the head is a bit too big and one of the forearms is completely deformed^
Spoiler:
wronsiski
Workman of Garrodum

Timezone: GMT
In Game: wronsiski

Postby cgeyl » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:18 am

Sinic5128 wrote:OnT: Impressive builds! I'm a big fan of the cathedral-like building with the tower. I'm (impolitely) going to assume it's a work in progress based on what to me looks like outlines for the pillars and walls. If so, please do share the finished project if you get around to finishing it. :dance:

It's note quite finished, but even when it's done it's not meant to look finished. I based the design off the cathedral in Köln which looked like this for 500 years because they stopped construction half way through.
Spoiler:

You can see it's pretty much copied right down to the crane.
cgeyl
Stargazer of Astracarn

Postby Sinic5128 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:23 pm

cgeyl wrote:It's note quite finished, but even when it's done it's not meant to look finished. I based the design off the cathedral in Köln which looked like this for 500 years because they stopped construction half way through.
Spoiler:

You can see it's pretty much copied right down to the crane.

Oh yeah, I remember reading about it in German class now that you mention it. It's pretty amazing how they stopped and then picked it up again 500 years later (and then it was partly destroyed again during WW2 if I recall correctly). Anyhow, cool build indeed.
Sinic5128
Tribesman of the Mavi

Timezone: GMT+1
In Game: Sinic5128

Postby Empirical » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:47 am

Cathedrals are weird like that. Stop and go, stop and go.
Professional Cat Herder

Cobble Baron

<Cyster> ... your specialty seems to be reading things without absorbing any of it. :P
Empirical
Presiding Server Overlord

Timezone: EST (GMT -5)
In Game: Empirical

Postby Captain Bounceraff » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:53 pm

Most of the time, they took so long to build (all hand carved stone and SUPER precise measurements and all that jazz) the Architect would actually retire or die and then construction would stop until a new Architect came along and picked up the project. That's also why a lot of medieval cathedrals have different/evolving styles of construction throughout one building. :D

Of course, other things had an impact on their construction too, such as war or sudden lack of funds . . .
- She's a cruel Mistress.
Captain Bounceraff
Stargazer of Astracarn

Timezone: PDT
In Game: Bounceraff

Postby Empirical » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:08 am

Pretty much how the cycle goes.
Professional Cat Herder

Cobble Baron

<Cyster> ... your specialty seems to be reading things without absorbing any of it. :P
Empirical
Presiding Server Overlord

Timezone: EST (GMT -5)
In Game: Empirical

Postby cgeyl » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:46 am

Still here, still slowly building a city.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
cgeyl
Stargazer of Astracarn

Postby _myst_ » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:25 am

cgeyl wrote:Still here, still slowly building a city.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Hey, nice work! It's always cool when someone sticks with a large solo project and sees it all the way through (I have FAR too many abandoned builds sitting idle in my superflat worlds). If you're up for a bit of constructive building criticism, I might add a few more materials to your roadways, whatever looks good with your texturepack, to help break up the monotony. It looks like it's coming along well though!
Season 2: Wanderer of Necropolis
Season 2.1: Frostmore Resident
Nations test: Stargazer of Astracarn
Dewcraft: Campaign challenged
House Mithorian: Tree-Hugger
Massivecraft: Builder of Bunkers
Unofficial Season: Thain of Sylven
Now where is my Season 3?!?!?
_myst_
The bot formerly known as jlpaugh121

Timezone: Pacific Standard
In Game: jlpaugh121

Postby cgeyl » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:33 am

_myst_ wrote:Hey, nice work! It's always cool when someone sticks with a large solo project and sees it all the way through (I have FAR too many abandoned builds sitting idle in my superflat worlds). If you're up for a bit of constructive building criticism, I might add a few more materials to your roadways, whatever looks good with your texturepack, to help break up the monotony. It looks like it's coming along well though!

yeah, not really sure about my roads, plan is to modify the texture pack stone half slabs to look more like vanilla, since Dokucraft ones are pretty bad. Haven't really started working on them too hard though which is why they look like 2D shitpaint in most of these photos, it's just left like that to mark out the roads while I build the buildings. I still haven't decided if I'll keep the single block type roads (I've never really liked that thing people do where they make their roads a mixture of different stones or gravel and I don't think it matches this part of the city), but the sides of the roads I'm going to mostly fill with gardens and stuff after setting up the building layouts.

You can see how that looks in this more recent picture
Spoiler:
cgeyl
Stargazer of Astracarn

PreviousNext

Return to Minecraft Talk