Is it too early to blindly panic?

Discuss builds, game modes, maps, patches, and other fantastic things about the game we play here.

Moderators: Ragandar, Lunysgwen

Is it too early to blindly panic?

Postby enchantomancer » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:15 pm

Gah! Badgercrotch!
enchantomancer
Tribesman of the Mavi

Time Cloaked: Choice Pending

Re: Is it too early to blindly panic?

Postby BrickWork » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:45 pm

Why all the panic? I see nothing that can go terribly wrong.
*** Looking for potential quotes to fill this space ***
BrickWork
Workman of Garrodum

In Game: BrickWork
Time Cloaked: Willing

Postby gigyas6 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:48 pm

Personally, the only thing I'm scared about is the game becoming REALLY closed-source.

While vanilla minecraft is fun, mods do so much to add to the game without changing what the game is at its core. They expand upon existing mechanics without improving or harming. It's kind of the only modding community to do that. Too many other games out there that are "modding platforms" either require mods to be fun, or have mods that will change how the game works from the ground up.

I'm actually terrified that modding will cease to be. There isn't a whole lot of Microsoft programs that have open code. Even if it is open, I have a feeling they'll be converting all of the existing code and game into C++.

Other than that, I don't see many problems. But that problem is a big one.
ggnaw.mcnode.net N@W Community server
gigyas6
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: gigyas6

Postby Kbslayer » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:42 am

Hey now, panicking is fun and all, but lets be honest here. How bad could it be? I mean, Microsoft at least fix their bugs, usually. I mean, come on. Maybe boats will finally work.

But realistically, there will be both pro's and con's to this. There will be change. Microsoft have lawyers, the EULA will finally be enforced. Granted, that should not affect us.

Anyway, it could seriously be worse. I mean, Mojang could have been bought by Apple after all. :v:
GENERATION 1: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.
Kbslayer
Stargazer of Astracarn

Timezone: GMT -6
In Game: Kbslayer

Postby Captain Bounceraff » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:34 am

Kbslayer wrote:Anyway, it could seriously be worse. I mean, Mojang could have been bought by Apple after all. :v:

Count your blessings . . . . :3:
- She's a cruel Mistress.
Captain Bounceraff
Stargazer of Astracarn

Timezone: PDT
In Game: Bounceraff

Postby Sheez » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:51 am

Maybe shit will finally get done now.
Sheez

Postby BrickWork » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:24 pm

Under the terms of the agreement, Microsoft will acquire Mojang for $2.5 billion. Microsoft expects the acquisition to be break-even in FY15 on a GAAP basis. Subject to customary closing conditions and any regulatory review, the acquisition is expected to close in late 2014.

Meaning they expect to regain the 2.5 billion by summer 2015. I don't think I like the sound of this...
*** Looking for potential quotes to fill this space ***
BrickWork
Workman of Garrodum

In Game: BrickWork
Time Cloaked: Willing

Postby Danelli » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:39 am

As an original alpha player, I'm interested to see where this goes. In general, the game has had quite a journey.
Dear Family,
Thanks for putting empty boxes back in the cabinet. There's nothing like having disappointment for breakfast.
Danelli
Tribesman of the Mavi

Timezone: EST
In Game: Danelli

Postby _Ass4ssin_ » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:47 pm

Been playing since beta 1.3, maybe even earlier, and the game did indeed had quite a journey. I still remember when pistons were released and you could duplicate blocks with them. At that time I was like.. ugh pistons are cool.. but they feel weird in minecraft and in the beginning I kinda disliked them.

Now you got all those new redstone items and animals...

I don't think much will change and they just bought it for the sake of having it, they still let Mojang do its thing I guess. Who knows, we just will have to wait and see. The only thing I would be afraid of, those silly things like you have to login on your microsoft account and you can achievements and that kind of things. Maybe making the source code more private so modders have a hard time making mods.

I don't think there will be a lot of changes, maybe minor. Let's hope they won't ruined it.
_Ass4ssin_
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: _Ass4ssin_

Postby dragonshardz » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:30 am

BrickWork wrote:
Under the terms of the agreement, Microsoft will acquire Mojang for $2.5 billion. Microsoft expects the acquisition to be break-even in FY15 on a GAAP basis. Subject to customary closing conditions and any regulatory review, the acquisition is expected to close in late 2014.

Meaning they expect to regain the 2.5 billion by summer 2015. I don't think I like the sound of this...

Wrong. "Break-even by GAAP" means that they expect to make more money from the purchase than they would earned in interest on the $2.5B.

Source
Sick Barbarian Macho Saboteur Don Vito Corleone
dragonshardz
Workman of Garrodum

In Game: dragonshardz

Next

Return to Minecraft Talk