Enjoy

Discuss builds, game modes, maps, patches, and other fantastic things about the game we play here.

Moderators: Ragandar, Lunysgwen

Re: Enjoy

Postby gigyas6 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:17 pm

Krazyguy75 wrote:You seriously need to start giving soon, or people will just stop trying. Most already have.

You can either promise something (vague or not), that makes the process worth it, or you can give hints on where to start. Right now, for all we know, the secret could be "I had a tasty hamburger at Burger King and wanted to make you lives hell while I watch you figure it out."

I know you well enough to know that's probably not the secret, but not helping in any way creates a stalemate. Eventually everyone stops trying and gives up. At least tell us what the focus is on, or what to focus on in order to get somewhere. For all I know, this could relate to anything from N@W and Minecraft to politics to your personal life.

From the little you've told us, the method of solution could be as extreme as "travel to Japan and read the romanization of specific street signs backwards and scramble the letters via a code, then add that to the level.dat exactly in the middle to create a new world with the answer in it".

You're not giving us any encouragement to work, just the "salvation in heaven" style unproveable claims of something at the end of our work. I'd like at least something to go off of before I invest any more effort in this.

OOC: The whole reason I started this was as a different approach to story telling, and also the first time for me setting something like this up. You can trust me when I say that the solution is nowhere near that extreme, in fact, someone already got very damn close to the current solution. I tried helping them, but when they failed the set up challenge, their character died (by the way, that's partly why this was in Chronicles of Conflict).
It's a puzzle. If I were to completely give you guys the answers, or even help you in a significant way, it would ruin the whole point of there being a puzzle. I don't want to see you squirm. I want to see you succeed, and succeed on your own because I want to see the excitement and mystery that follows that up.
I've been trying to give gentle clues outside the map to help you folks along the way.
If you're looking for some grand prize, I'll tell you now, you won't find one, just like you wouldn't find one in any other game.

Edit: Read over what other people posted. Work together. This isn't a single-player experience, even when the map is.
ggnaw.mcnode.net N@W Community server
gigyas6
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: gigyas6
Time Cloaked: Choice Pending

Postby Krazyguy75 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:22 am

To Gigyas:
gigyas6 wrote:You can trust me when I say that the solution is nowhere near that extreme, in fact, someone already got very damn close to the current solution. I tried helping them, but when they failed the set up challenge, their character died (by the way, that's partly why this was in Chronicles of Conflict).

Edit: Read over what other people posted. Work together. This isn't a single-player experience, even when the map is.

Thank you for that. Assuming I can trust you, which you've given no reason for me to doubt, this means it is possible. This is the type of stuff I was asking for.

I'd like to know if the person was someone on this thread or not, and if not, if any of us were at least heading in the correct direction. Right now we're wandering aimlessly, to the point where I'm MCediting away all the materials in the world.

To the other players: One the only things I've noticed that weren't mentioned is that the phrasing is "ON file", with odd capitalization, potentially meaning a file to turn something on (or not, just speculating).

I tried spawning in maps (WHERE'S THE MAP); useless.
I also MCediting away all the dirt in the world, nothing that unusual.
There is one block missing in the distance outside the wall, but it might just be an Enderman remnant or something.
I also tried turning the "file" file into a binary, then replacing it with the level.dat. Failing that, I tried to turn it into text. Also failure.
I tried erasing the first level.dat to see if the previous one had different stuff, no result.
Also, NBTediting all the .dat files didn't reveal anything.

It must have to do with the "file" file, but I don't know what.
Hello darkness my old friend...
Krazyguy75
Tribesman of the Mavi

Time Cloaked: Willing

Postby ThatShadowGuy » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:18 pm

Krazyguy75 wrote:
Spoiler:
To Gigyas:
gigyas6 wrote:You can trust me when I say that the solution is nowhere near that extreme, in fact, someone already got very damn close to the current solution. I tried helping them, but when they failed the set up challenge, their character died (by the way, that's partly why this was in Chronicles of Conflict).

Thank you for that. Assuming I can trust you, which you've given no reason for me to doubt, this means it is possible. This is the type of stuff I was asking for.

I'd like to know if the person was someone on this thread or not, and if not, if any of us were at least heading in the correct direction. Right now we're wandering aimlessly, to the point where I'm MCediting away all the materials in the world.

To the other players: One the only things I've noticed that weren't mentioned is that the phrasing is "ON file", with odd capitalization, potentially meaning a file to turn something on (or not, just speculating).

I tried spawning in maps (WHERE'S THE MAP); useless.
I also MCediting away all the dirt in the world, nothing that unusual.
There is one block missing in the distance outside the wall, but it might just be an Enderman remnant or something.
I also tried turning the "file" file into a binary, then replacing it with the level.dat. Failing that, I tried to turn it into text. Also failure.
I tried erasing the first level.dat to see if the previous one had different stuff, no result.
Also, NBTediting all the .dat files didn't reveal anything.

It must have to do with the "file" file, but I don't know what.

The person in question is most likely cgeyl. Take a closer look at the photo Gigyas posted.

I suppose I should record everything else I've learned as well. Be warned, I have a lot of info here, most of which we probably already know. At this point, I've figured we might as well get every detail down in case some of them are important.

The Starting House and The Town
Spoiler:
There are 5 signs here, mostly for the purpose of setting up the rules. There is also a chest with an unsigned book in it, a cat, and a bed. The rules are: Play Alone, Play on peaceful, You may not break blocks, you may not place blocks, and Logic and words change everything. The last one is unique in that it could possibly be interpreted to mean any of the other rules aren't really rules. (like whether they mean You aren't allowed to break blocks, or You might not break blocks)

The rest of the town is fairly small. There's another sign saying 'Traps rarely exist.', possibly referring to the hole into the void on the other side of town. There are two other houses, one ruined and the other with a lot of bats in it, with neither seeming to contain anything of significance. There is also a church and a graveyard, but I'll get to those later.

The journal is perhaps the most useful artifact in discovering the backstory behind this map. It starts off as the diary of a semi-literate little kid called Timmy. They talk about random stuff, like getting a tudor to improve their spelling. About a third of the way through, the next entry skips 3 years, and we learn that the owner's full name is Thomas Wiser, and over time they've actually learned how to spell. We also learn that they got a cat, presumably the same one still in the house today. After that, quite a few pages are missing. The next entry dates 10 years later, and is pretty dark. It talks about Rachel's death (who Rachel is I'm not entirely sure), and how only 5 people are left in the town. The very last entry dates July 18th, 518, and Thomas appears to be somewhat mentally disturbed, as he repeats the phrase 'What happens next...' over and over. Now, everything else I'm saying is pure guesswork from here on out based on certain details in the diary.

-Every entry is dated using the real-world calender system. Therefore, it seems reasonable to assume that this town is supposed to exist either in the real world or a world heavily based on it. By extension, if we are indeed in the real world, then we could assume that this takes place around the early 500s AD, or the beginning of the Middle Ages.

-Although it is tempting to think you are playing as Thomas Wiser, it's unlikely as the cat isn't yours and they know several things you don't.

-The rest of the town seems to have died from some sort of contagious infection or disease. As you encounter nobody else, it is quite possible you are the sole survivor. The disease seems to share similarities with the Black Plague, but if my earlier theories are correct we're a few centuries too early for that.

-Another thing to note is how close we are to the last entry's date of July 18th. Is this the time limit, which would explain the 'time running out' message, or is it just a coincidence?

The Church and The File
Spoiler:
At least, I'm assuming it's a church as the symbol on the front resembles a cross. The floor is covered with redstone and blocks of redstone, which I believe is meant to be blood. There's also a zombie head, so whatever events transpired here, they seem to have been particularly violent. There's a chest, containing another unsigned book and an almost-broken wooden shovel. I'm not sure what the shovel's for, but gravedigging appears to be the most reasonable guess.

The book is someone rambling about something hidden in the map and on the file. As it turns out, this 'file' is real. It's in the actual file for the game, under Data. And it's a sequence of the numbers 20, 30, and 31, in a seemingly-random order. At first, I thought it might refer to graves, but the 20th, 30th, and 31st graves contained nithing of importance. Then I figured it might refer to coordinates, but an excavation around that area yielded nothing. (Around this time, I switched to creative mode for convenience.) Similarly, making a map also proved that there was nothing outside the town except for a missing block of dirt.

I've found a way to arrange the numbers in the file in such a way that all the 20s end up in the 9th column and the first column is entirely 30s, but if this proves something beyond the possibility of a pattern I've no idea what. For now, I'm assuming there's a way to make all of this into a map and I just haven't found it yet.

The Graveyard
Spoiler:
This location seems to be an integral piece of the puzzle as well, but I'm not sure how just yet. There are 44 graves, arranged in 11 rows of 4, 25 with a sign, 19 unmarked, and all but 3 have a chest underneath. The chests' contents all wildly vary, from being empty, to having a skeleton, or having some other odd trinket like an egg or a clock.

Notable Graves:
Rachel Diamond: This is probably the girl Thomas was talking about. As far as I recall, this chest was empty, but Thomas spent some time talking about her so this might be important somehow.

Fran & Patricia Tower: Patricia's grave has a normal head and some rotten flesh in it, suggesting their corpse is more recent than most. It also contains a signed book, titled 'Book Page', with someone grieving over her death. Fran is a likely suspect as to the author, but their grave suggests they died earlier. Huh.

Total Grave Contents:
119 Bones
15 Skeleton Skulls
6 Rotten Flesh
3 Grass
1 Head
1 Wither Skeleton Skull
1 Egg
1 Clock
1 Bonemeal
A heavily-damaged Golden Axe
A heavily-damaged Golden Sword
The aformentioned "Book Page"

Other Stuff
Spoiler:
-cgeyl was likely headed on the right track until they died. May want to try converting the file into hex.

-The diary was said to have 20 or 30 pages missing from it. 20 and 30 are numbers in the file. Coincidence? Probably.
ThatShadowGuy
Stargazer of Astracarn

In Game: ThatShadowGuy

Postby Krazyguy75 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:57 am

Thanks for the pointer to Cgeyl. It would help if his name was spelled correctly (it reads Cgeryl). But from the clue that hex has something to do with it is not very helpful. It could be any of a million solutions for the following step.

Though I do find the repetition of 20 and 30 every 9 characters and no where else to be interesting. You also missed the third column being 31 only. I think figuring out the pattern would definitely help.
Krazyguy75
Tribesman of the Mavi

Postby Rvanbergen » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:39 pm

Krazyguy75 wrote:Thanks for the pointer to Cgeyl. It would help if his name was spelled correctly (it reads Cgeryl). But from the clue that hex has something to do with it is not very helpful. It could be any of a million solutions for the following step.

Though I do find the repetition of 20 and 30 every 9 characters and no where else to be interesting. You also missed the third column being 31 only. I think figuring out the pattern would definitely help.

I was looking at that thing (yeah, I'm still thinking about this too), and I had a thought? Maybe it's binary? If you remove the 2's and 3's, you just end up with a bunch of 0's and 1's. It also fits into the hint Gigyas gave earlier.

gigyas6 wrote:Image

See the binary in there?

Unfortunately, I can't read binary, so you'll have to tell me what comes out of that. Just sharing a thought here.
AKA Rvan. That's R.van; you pronounce it as "Ar-van", not "R-van".

--
"Life's short. Then you die. Then the worms eat you. Be grateful it happens in that order."
--

“No Fishing in Elevator!”
-Nowan123
Rvanbergen
Workman of Garrodum

In Game: Rvanbergen

Postby Krazyguy75 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:22 am

Rvanbergen wrote:
Krazyguy75 wrote:Thanks for the pointer to Cgeyl. It would help if his name was spelled correctly (it reads Cgeryl). But from the clue that hex has something to do with it is not very helpful. It could be any of a million solutions for the following step.

I was looking at that thing (yeah, I'm still thinking about this too), and I had a thought? Maybe it's binary? If you remove the 2's and 3's, you just end up with a bunch of 0's and 1's. It also fits into the hint Gigyas gave earlier.

gigyas6 wrote:Image

See the binary in there?

Unfortunately, I can't read binary, so you'll have to tell me what comes out of that. Just sharing a thought here.

I already tried that, since I last posted. Doesn't make text, doesn't make a level.dat. I didn't think it would work considering the 20s are in an obvious pattern.
Krazyguy75
Tribesman of the Mavi

Postby cgeyl » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:23 am

what reads as Cgeryl?
cgeyl
Stargazer of Astracarn

Postby ThatShadowGuy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:01 pm

cgeyl wrote:what reads as Cgeryl?

...your grave. In the picture.
ThatShadowGuy
Stargazer of Astracarn

In Game: ThatShadowGuy

Postby charmisokay » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:21 pm

The r....
It means something!
Proud citizen of The Hammersong Empire.
Blood lord of Hammerseat.
-
The puncher of wolves.
The accelerator of things.
charmisokay
Tribesman of the Mavi

Postby Empirical » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:04 am

charmisokay wrote:The r....
It means something!

It's a silent "r".
Professional Cat Herder

Cobble Baron

<Cyster> ... your specialty seems to be reading things without absorbing any of it. :P
Empirical
Presiding Server Overlord

Timezone: EST (GMT -5)
In Game: Empirical

Previous

Return to Minecraft Talk