What have I forgot to put in my castle

Discuss builds, game modes, maps, patches, and other fantastic things about the game we play here.

Moderators: Ragandar, Lunysgwen

What have I forgot to put in my castle

Postby cgeyl » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:35 pm

So I've been building a minecraft castle since just before 1.3 (I think). I've been doing this very infrequently; just like an afternoon every other week when I felt like building something, and also when I happen to have working versions of WorldEdit installed in singleplayer. The way I've built it was by just starting in one corner of a peninsular and gradually building extensions with little or no overall planning, constantly changing my design for different parts of the complex.

Basically I've been gradually adding parts of the castle which house the various rooms and amenities which a castle would require, but I'm getting to the point where I want the building to stop and become the grounds inside a surrounding wall. I'm just planning out the last few parts of the structure and I'm at the stage where I try to fit all the unfinished rooms into the building, so I need to make sure I'm not missing anything.

There are two main parts of the castle seperated by a courtyard. I just call these the palace and the fortress and they correspond to non-military and military structures respectively. I mostly need ideas for the non-military section because that's the part I've almost finished. Although any help with the military buildings would also be useful.

The parts of the castle I've already planned or built are:

Palace

-Throne Room/Hall
-Council Room
-Bedrooms
-Gallery/Trophie Room
-Chapel
-Tomb
-Conservatory
-Medical Wing
-Ballroom
-Kitchen
-Dining Hall
-Wine Cellars
-Library
-Archive Room

Fortress

-Armoury
-Barracks
-Dungeons
-Training Yard
-War Room

Castle Grounds

-Stables
-Jousting Lists
-Archery Range
-Blacksmith
-Greenhouses

There're also a bunch of walls, redoubts and guard towers scattered around everywhere as part of the general structure. Also most of the space inside the buildings is taken up by me trying to connect all the rooms and turrets which were all built seperately, floating and on different levels.

I'm sure there are important things I've missed, but I can't think of anything else. I don't want to finish and then have everyone say,
"Your castle is so unrealistc, it doesn't even have a popcorn factory or a chinese restaurant. And where will everyone play hopscotch."
So if you think I've missed something important or if you have any good suggestions, you should let me know while I can still change things.
cgeyl
Stargazer of Astracarn

Time Cloaked: Choice Pending

Re: What have I forgot to put in my castle

Postby Krazyguy75 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:29 pm

Your castle is so unrealistic, it doesn't even have a popcorn factory or a Chinese restaurant. And where will everyone play hopscotch?

But in all seriousness, what kind of castle has no dungeon underneath it?

EDIT: Oops didn't see that you did. Failure on my part. Hmm. Let me think for a bit.

EDIT2: Well, depending on the level of realism you want, I feel the people in the castle might have some serious bladder issues after living their for a while, due to the lack of a certain type of important room.
Hello darkness my old friend...
Krazyguy75
Tribesman of the Mavi

Time Cloaked: Willing

Postby cgeyl » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:52 pm

I've got like one or two rooms set aside as toilets, I just didn't think I had to mention them in the same way
I haven't mentioned all the sitting rooms.

Anyway, there are a lot of outward facing windows.
cgeyl
Stargazer of Astracarn

Postby _myst_ » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:10 am

Can we geet some screenshots to correspond with the respective rooms and maybe some nice panoramic views?
Season 2: Wanderer of Necropolis
Season 2.1: Frostmore Resident
Nations test: Stargazer of Astracarn
Dewcraft: Campaign challenged
House Mithorian: Tree-Hugger
Massivecraft: Builder of Bunkers
Unofficial Season: Thain of Sylven
Now where is my Season 3?!?!?
_myst_
The bot formerly known as jlpaugh121

Timezone: Pacific Standard
In Game: jlpaugh121

Postby cgeyl » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:28 am

Not sure what geet means, but I'll put up some screenshots tonight when I get home, but there's a fair bit of castle. Also the rooms aren't properly furnished yet, What rooms do you want to see specifically?
cgeyl
Stargazer of Astracarn

Postby cgeyl » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:08 am

Here's the ballroom, which is the first functional room I built.

http://imgur.com/u2bzCSr

The rest of the castle looks somewhat simillar, tell me if there're any specific things you'll want to see or if you would like to suggest an easier way of uploading pictures. Otherwise I might just make an imgur gallery.
cgeyl
Stargazer of Astracarn

Postby gigyas6 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:15 am

People.
ggnaw.mcnode.net N@W Community server
gigyas6
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: gigyas6

Postby Danelli » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:06 am

Perhaps a granary?
Dear Family,
Thanks for putting empty boxes back in the cabinet. There's nothing like having disappointment for breakfast.
Danelli
Tribesman of the Mavi

Timezone: EST
In Game: Danelli

Postby cgeyl » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:25 am

Granary's a good idea, not sure I'll end up putting one in though. Especially not in the actual buildings.

Here's a better idea of what the castle looks like, Ignore the massive holes on the unfinised side.
http://imgur.com/a/SbC1z#0

These pictures are from pretty far back though, so you won't get much detail.
cgeyl
Stargazer of Astracarn

Postby orionic » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:37 pm

people, for one yes.
that looks really good, like really good.
the shape and placement of all the sections look really cool, but i have one small issue.
the inside is very colourfull, and very detailed,the outside however looks a bit like a grey mass, which i think is a shame.
if this is the style that you went for, who am i to judge? but if it were me, i would have added some logs and wood, to add colour to the outside
KB's Idea?: GENERATION 3:
Spoiler:
The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.
orionic
Tribesman of the Mavi

In Game: orionic_haps

Next

Return to Minecraft Talk