N@W Info

Information regarding the server, and decrees by the Administration.

Re: N@W Info

Postby Empirical » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:32 am

In order to post in these threads (the announcentments), do the following:

Just go to the thread by clicking on it from any of the forums you're able to post in. If you go straight to it from announcements it glitches out a little. So just go to general, click on the announcement thread, and post from there.
Professional Cat Herder

Cobble Baron

<Cyster> ... your specialty seems to be reading things without absorbing any of it. :P
Empirical
Presiding Server Overlord

Timezone: EST (GMT -5)
In Game: Empirical
Time Cloaked: Choice Pending

Postby Empirical » Sat May 26, 2012 5:20 am

These were pretty outdated so I moved them out of the OP.

Gameplay Mechanics
Spoiler:
Gameplay Mechanics
If I miss something or I'm unclear leave a comment and I'll look it over. Also, feel free to point out spelling and grammar issues.

Just a reminder, everything is subject to change. For the most part, there shouldn't be any massive changes here.

Things may be a little out of order (at least in any logical sense) but I'll be tweaking it as I add more. I'm just doing whatever comes to mind first.

FAQ
-Not being allowed to use certain weapons, tools, or armor?: Go crazy, if you've got the material then by all means make it.
-How will the economy work?: It will both be player ran and have NPC's you can buy and sell with.
-Workbenchs and furnaces?: Go ahead, make that workbench castle you always dreamed of, it's okay now.
-Special Nation Abilities?: You are not as special as your mother has told you, you're just like everyone else! Now get over it.
-Towny?: No, we are not using towny. Towny is just where we got the idea to buy and protect plots.
-Slimes?: Yes
-Squid?: Yes
-Wool?: Yup, sheep are back.
-Beds?: You can make and place them, but they won't act as spawns.

Iconomy
How you earn it:
    -Daily log-in bonus. You get a little iconomy each day you log-in (once a day). Donators get a little more.
    -Killing monsters. You won't get a lot just for killing one monster, but it adds up. Also, you won't get any for killing monsters near spawners (within about 15blocks).
    -Going to war. You will earn the Iconomy your enemy loses and you will also get a little more just for winning.
    -From selling your goods to NPC's or to other players.
    -Killing another player (outside of war) will earn you a small amount from their pocket.
    -From jobs. Jobs are things nations themselves set up that will reward a player iconomy. Nation needs wood, leader sets a job up for 30wood, you submit 30 wood, you get the reward (this is ran by the plugin).
    -Quest, similar to jobs but from the admins and may be more in-depth.
    -There are some more ways, I'll add them as soon as I confirm them with Shadow and Ein.

What you use it on:
    -Needed to found your nation.
    -To buy/claim plots (claiming is for when no one owns it, buying is for when buying it from another player).
    -Waging war.
    -Buy items from NPC's or players if thats what they're asking for.
    -Buying certain favors from the admins, such as possible having them carve out a river for you.
    -When I confirm some other stuff with Ein and Shadow I'll add more.

Founding a Nation & Some Plot Pricing Info
Founding a nation cost money, as such not everyone will have one day one. Only people able to band together a large enough amount of fellows will be able to do so. Worry not, it's just the beginning and you'll probably be partying with your friends anyway. From here you will then need money to buy plots, said plots will be build protected from non-nation members. Unlike in Nations V1, you will be able to enter the borders of other nations but those nation will have the ability to turn on/off whether or not they want you to be able to open doors, press buttons, ect.

Choose your first plot carefully, for all other plots you buy must be touching a plot you own. This is to prevent people from buying a miss-match of plots. However, you will eventually be able to buy a plot that isn't touching your others. This will allow your nation to have another settlement somewhere, how this will work is still being discussed. We may limit nations to only one or two foreign colonies and the rate at which they will grow is still being worked.

You increase your nation's population by inviting other player to join it, then they can choose to accept or not. All plots are 16x16, they are not randomly placed nor are they placed based on where you are standing. It is all based off of the location of spawn.

For the moment, plot pricing will work like this:
    -Plot prices will increase as you gain more plots.
    -Plot prices will increase the closer you are to the borders of another nation, this helps protect from unwanted neighbors taking up plots around you and keeps people spaced out.
    -There is probably another factor or two that I'm not thinking of but this mostly covers it.

PvP
Forget not, the primary purpose of minecraft is to build.

In un-owned plots PvP is no different than normal MC, you can kill and be killed. Building works no differently here as well.

In your territory though, your nation can turn PvP off. Which means you won't take damage from players (I'm not sure if this also means they, as in non-nation members, can't take damage either). I intend to have some kind of timer or something when switching PvP on/off so that it's not abused.

Then there is war. Nations may choose not to take place in wars at all if they choose to do so. War involves two nations, one invading the other. War is enabled by a leader of the attacking nation, they place a wager down (the amount determines how many lives they get). The defending nation will then do the same. You earn iconomy by killing your enemies and the winning team (most kills probably) will get a little bonus. If you want you can choose to surrender, I'm not sure how much iconomy you will lose from this (I'm thinking a large percentage of your wager or of what's left of it).

During war, an invading nation can set up a camp outside the defending nations borders where they will spawn after dying (this saves people from trekking for 15minutes just to get their asses back there). During war, the invading nation can destroy blocks and take items from chest in their enemies borders (which you normally can't). The damage done to a nation will be reverted back to how it was before the war after it ends, with the exception of blocks of value and storage blocks (including what they contain). This is to make it so that awesome castle you just built for three weeks isn't a pile of rubble after a 30minute war. The exception to blocks of value (such as, gold, diamond, rails, etc.) is to give war some value (spoils of war) and to avoid duping of items/blocks.

Also, I believe the defending nation will have to accept the war. As in, both sides must agree to it.

NPC's
Our server will be making use of NPC's in only a few ways.
    -You can buy and sell items with them.

Info on stuff from 1.0

Spoiler:
Sheez wrote:This is under construction!

Hey there folks, I realize that some of the same questions keep popping up and that it might be a good idea to get everything down in one place. So, the really common questions will be placed here so you can reference them when needed. This will be updated as necessary.

Brewing and Enchanting

Q - YES! So, 1.0 means brewing and enchanting and new gameplay mechanics! I am stoked!
A - Well, er, no. We're removing the ability to craft potions and enchantments.

Q - WHY?!
A - We're going to be looking at rolling some of those effects into nation perks. So, rather than drinking a potion of speed, members of your nation will just be faster all the time. Pretty sweet, right?

Q - What do you mean 'perks'?
A - One of the things you will be able to unlock for your nation with prestige will be perks. Each nation will have two 'slots' that they can use to pick perks with. Each perk will, probably, have a linear upgrade tree so that you can pump more prestige into that perk to make it more powerful, more effective, or open up new options. An example of what a perk might look like is below:

Ice Magic Affinity -
Lvl 1 - Your people know the ways and recipes to craft special iceshards. These hit harder than normal snowballs.
Lvl 2 - Your iceshards create a small patch of frozen ground when they strike, keeping your enemies on their toes!
Lvl 3 - The iceshards your people create are imbued with a remnant of the ice magic used to craft them, slowing your foes in their tracks!

Or, another example..

Dwarven Stonelore -
Lvl 1 - Your digging speed is increased by 10%.
Lvl 2 - Ores now have a small chance of dropping twice as much when mined.
Lvl 3 - Your digging speed is increased by an additional 20%, and ores will rarely drop three times the normal amount of material when mined.

Q - Well, sure, but..until that happens can't I just make potions and stuff?
A - No. When we do roll out those perks, we want them to be unique and interesting things for your nation to do. If every nation has a stock of 50,000 speed potions, a speed perk wouldn't be very meaningful. And hunting down every last speed potion would be a tremendous pain, and likely an impossible task.

Q - So, we'll never see potions? Or enchanted items?
A - That's not really accurate either. Everyone loves enchanted items. Personally, I dislike the idea that you can spend a week trying to get that one particular enchanted item and fail at it. Which makes grinding a necessity for the really good stuff. That sucks. There's still some things to verify, but if we can, the Magi in the Sanctum will sell potions and enchanted items for iconomy. Also, some quests or dungeons will feature these as rewards (some of them including items that are normally uncraftable by the average player). Because Worldswords should be feared and lusted after!

Q - I think this is dumb.
A - Tough cookies, Raidonrai! You're gonna have to learn to have fun one of these days!
Professional Cat Herder

Cobble Baron

<Cyster> ... your specialty seems to be reading things without absorbing any of it. :P
Empirical

Postby Shinobi_Freedan » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:04 pm

I went to the IRC chat thread after registering my nickname, in order to "ask for a voice," and found that it was on a whitelist - only forum page. As there is no way to chat in the N@W channel without applying for chat through said thread, I cannot sign up for chat, being a non - whitelisted forum member. I was wondering if I could sign up for chat another way? I really do want the opportunity to chat with the community and find out more about it.
The Shinobi...You can't see him, but he sees you!
If you are reading this, it's too late.
{<ಠ>_<ಠ>}
Shinobi_Freedan
Tribesman of the Mavi

Timezone: EST
In Game: Shinobi_Freedan

Postby Empirical » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:09 pm

Shinobi_Freedan wrote:I went to the IRC chat thread after registering my nickname, in order to "ask for a voice," and found that it was on a whitelist - only forum page. As there is no way to chat in the N@W channel without applying for chat through said thread, I was wondering if I could sign up for N@W chat in some other way? I really do want the opportunity to chat with the community and find out more about it.

Your best options are the Visitor forums. We have to limit IRC and Mumble (there is a visitor channel but not too many stick around in there) because if we don't then we'll be overwhelmed with non-whitelisted guys in all the chats.
Professional Cat Herder

Cobble Baron

Empirical

Postby Empirical » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:36 pm

I added this to the forum rules:

When posting something that isn't safe for work/school, be sure to add "NSFW", You could get someone in serious trouble.
Professional Cat Herder

Cobble Baron

Empirical

Postby almiteycow » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:02 am

Empirical wrote:I added this to the forum rules:

When posting something that isn't safe for work/school, be sure to add "NSFW", You could get someone in serious trouble.

Ponies
<Emp> There are only three acceptable reasons to call me at 5am. He will die for his crimes.
<Feldherren> If he sounds tipsy he's probably dead drunk.
<EmpC> I have seen moo dead drunk, I left him in Seattle. And yes, dwarves are weird
almiteycow

Timezone: PST/PDT
In Game: almiteycow

Postby dragonshardz » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:29 pm

Uh...post derp?
Sick Barbarian Macho Saboteur Don Vito Corleone
dragonshardz
Workman of Garrodum

In Game: dragonshardz

Postby Empirical » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:34 pm

dragonshardz wrote:Uh...post derp?

I've been thinking that for the last couple of hours, waiting to ask him.
Professional Cat Herder

Cobble Baron

Empirical

Postby almiteycow » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:31 pm

Really bad derp. Was angry last night. Threw things. Couldn't find something I wanted.
<Emp> There are only three acceptable reasons to call me at 5am. He will die for his crimes.
<Feldherren> If he sounds tipsy he's probably dead drunk.
<EmpC> I have seen moo dead drunk, I left him in Seattle. And yes, dwarves are weird
almiteycow

Timezone: PST/PDT
In Game: almiteycow

Postby Empirical » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:49 am

Removed from OP:

**HAVE YOU BEEN GRIEFED? INSTRUCTIONS WITHIN**

Spoiler:
So we apparently have some people who are disrespecting the "Don't be a dick" rule and messing up people's nice things because they think it's funny.

That's not how we roll here.

If something you've built gets maliciously wrecked in some fashion, follow these steps:

1) Take a screenshot of the damage with coords.
2) PM the administrator group on the forums detailing what happened and give us the screenshot.
3) DO NOT TOUCH THE AREA. I know you want to fix it, but don't until we give you the go ahead.

We'll find the perpetrators of the griefing that's been taking place and they are going to get a swift kick in the ass. Report the griefing you find and we'll make the call.

N@W Wiki
http://wiki.nationsatwar.org
Spoiler:
Hey guys we have a wiki. Anyone who registers and confirms their email can create and edit pages. It is a wiki so don't be surprised if something you write gets edited. That said, I have no qualms about banning someone for defacing a page, or creating pages purely to insult other players/nations. I don't expect too much use out of it now, but when the server goes live we figure groups will use it to keep information about their nations up to date.
Professional Cat Herder

Cobble Baron

Empirical

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements